Ultimate Subaru Message Board

now what do i do????

well, disconnected the o2 sensor and big deal...still pings badly....correct heatrange ngk plugs...new wires....premium fuel from either chevron/shell or 76...timing is correct...is it time for seafoam in the gas tank and if so what is the prescribed method?? did a search and there are various ways of doing it...i have an 89 spi wgn....didnt know if i should just put in a few gallons and then a whole can of the stuff....run it dry...then do it again...or fill it up and add a can...blah blah blah....any help would be appreciated as i really am getting concerned about the pinging and with the heat here and a new job starting soon i really dont need car problems.....

thanx!

Have you tried cleaning out the EGR tube and is the EGR valve working correctly? Also, what temperature thermostat do you have and about where on the gage is the needle staying when the engine is warmed-up?

is it throwing any codes or is it just being a subaru? I think taking it down to about 18 degrees BTDC should do it, have you tried unhooking the battery overnight, or for an hour or so, to reset the ECU? better the computer be reset and re-learn the way you drive than for it to ping inself to death. the temp needle should be alittle below halfway when fully warmed up, the EGR vlave suggestion would probably be a good place to continue looking.

~Josh~