Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whine at 50 mph+

Hey Folks:

Ihave a 5spd 93 Loyale with 135,000 miles on it. It's making a whineing soud starting at just below 50 mph.

If I push in the clutch going downhill to maintain 50+ while I listen it continues. Doesn't do it at idle and it makes the same noise whether I'm in 4th or 5th gear. I don't think it could be the engine. The CV on the Fr-Right is almost gone.

Also the weather-stripping on the lower part of the windshield is coming loose. mAybe airspeed vibrating that at speed? I really don't know. The water pump has been replaced in the last couple of months and so have the timing belts.

Finally a month or so ago I engaged the 4WD to climb my brothers driveway when it was really wet and the power seemed to just be gone compared to 2WD.

Any thoughts on these things would be a real help...

Cheers,

Gareth

Temporarily Thornwood NY.

Hey Erik:

Thanks for the onput. You think it's just not audible at lower speeds. usually when a bearing is packing up you can smell it can't you. Good thought, have to consider

Cheers,

Gareth

the wheel bearings go bad pretty often in these. id replace the cv joint thats contaimated. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36189

maybe you can get one through them?

Hey Erik:

I have a really acute sense of smell. For example when someone in the neighbourhood is gassing up a lawnmower I can usually smell the gas before I hear the mower or leaf blower!

My experience is that if you can hear a bearing squeeling you can smell the grease or whats left of it burning. I've never done any major work on cars but I was a motorcycle mechanic in the 80's before I realized I'd make more money as a computer Lan Analyst. That's been my experience. Also If it were a bearing I'd expect a higher pitch "whistle". Makes some sense though, maybe there's a Soob board member nearby I can drive over to and they can lookee.

Cheers,

Gareth

smell it? no

Hi Erik:

The CV is Clunnking alright but I don't detect a whine. The bearing theory I like until I can get a better one.

Cheers,

Gareth

interesting, but grease doesnt really have a strong scent, and you should be able to smell the grease in the broken CV joint following the same logic

Sound at speed?

This may be hard to tell with a bad CV.

Does it become louder or quiter in turns I could isolate the side my wheel bearings where shot in this way?(of course I don't have as an acute sniffer as you, so I used a windy hill and friend with our heads out the windows.)

Wheel bearings is my bet....

NO clues on the rest good luck

Hey:

I'm liking the bearing idea more and more. I'm having the front right CV replaced when I get back to Toronto in a couple of weeks. I'll get the front bearings done then. I did the hill thing and with a steady speed and the car out of gear prm's down to -500 the nose was still there that has to mean airflow (ie; wind noise on something-windshield weatherstripping) OR running gear since the engine is essentially removed from trhe equation.

Thanks for your input.

Know of any "members up in Toronto!? Maybe Buffalo?

Cheers,

Gareth

Sound at speed?

This may be hard to tell with a bad CV.

Does it become louder or quiter in turns I could isolate the side my wheel bearings where shot in this way?(of course I don't have as an acute sniffer as you, so I used a windy hill and friend with our heads out the windows.)

Wheel bearings is my bet....

NO clues on the rest good luck

Hey:

Brand new clutch, however there is a bit of a whine in 1st gear as I accelerate but my last one an 86 did the same, just a low 1st gear. Same sound you get when backing at speed in most std tranny cars.

Cheers,

Gareth

Has anyone even thaught it could have something to do with the gearbox?? but other than that yeah a wheel bearing soulds likely