Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 Gl Wagon Won't Start Suggestions?

MY 1988 SUBARU GL WAGON WON'T START. WE WERE DRIVING IT ONE DAY AND IT JUST DIED AND WOULD NOT START BACK UP.WE HAVE HAD THE CAR FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM UNTIL THIS. WE TOWED IT HOME AND LOOKED FOR A PROBLEM. THIS IS ABOUT ALL I KNOW, IT HAS OIL, THE BATTERRY IS GOOD,THE ENGINE IS GETTING FUEL, THE FUSES AND FUSEBLE LINKS SEEM OK. BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE SPARK. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

+1 for timing belt. These old cars need them changed regularly. When the driver side T-belt breaks, the distributor stops spinning and you no longer get spark. Popo the cap off, crank it over and see if the disty is spinning.

+1 for fixing that broken caps lock button as well;)

Yes, sounds like broken timing belt could be the problem. If distributor is turning then at least one of the belts is not broken. If that's the case, and the other belt is broken, I think you won't see any movement on your oil pressure gauge while cranking the engine, as that belt drives the oil pump. Maybe I'm wrong here, though, in my recollection. [As I've gotten older, I seem to recall less and less!] calebz, Skip, moosens, Turbone, and others know this for sure. Search this forum, as this problem has been discussed and diagnosed many times before - lots of good insights on troubleshooting the timing belts and replacing them. If you determine the timing belts are intact, be sure to check the coil and the coil wire. If you aren't getting voltage to the distributor, you won't be able to distribute that voltage to the plugs! 8-) And I seem to recall that a loose starter or alternator connection can cause a similar symptom... or if either of these connections is shorting to ground. Just some additional ideas to think about. I'm starting to ramble again... sorry about that. 8-) Rick

gah, fuzzy monitor + Caps = hurting eyes

Most likely the driver side belt had some of the teeth strip off*. So when you get the covers off it'll look like it's fine, but it isn't.

here's a link from the USRM to the timing belt replacement procedure http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24

When I did my belts for the first time in a similar situation, it took maybe 4 or 5 hours.

Now that I've done it I could probably get it done in a couple hours

for a shop to do it, I'd guess you'd be looking at $300-400 for it. Just a guess though.

*sidenote: I saw a car in the JY with a stripped belt once... I really hope that isn't why it showed up there :slobber:

Go to subaru and buy your belts there. I have heard that they can last up to 100k miles before breaking.

If you read the threads, plenty of people who have never changed timing belts have done so with success and satisfaction.