Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 92 loyale stopped running

I was driving my 92 loyale the other day and it just quit running. It has the 1.8 liter engine in it. I got it home and I am now looking for the problem. This is where I am at. Before it quit running, I notice there was a click near the passenger side dash and when it clicked, the idle was off alittle, then it would click and it would fine. Now it wont start. I have gas in it, the fuses are alll good. I have a spark at two plug wires but not the other two , I replaced the solinoid and it still is the same. I noticed there is some wiring under the solinoid , I was hoping that would be some kind of control for the solinoid. Any clues?? I need this car running for my job. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance. John

This is an odd problem. The plugs are numbered as follows:

#1 The plug on the passenger side at the front.

#2 The plug on the passenger side at the rear.

#3 The plug on the drivers side at the front.

#4 The plug on the drivers side at the rear.

Which plugs are not firing? Have you checked the plug wires to those plugs that are not working to see if they are ok?

Sounds like a timing belt. Usually if the passenger side belt goes it will still run though. Not very well but it will still fire. Pull the outer covers off to check the belts. If they are OK look for a cracked distributor cap or alot of corrosion between the spark plug wires and the distributor cap.

This is an odd problem. The plugs are numbered as follows:

#2 The plug on the passenger side at the rear.

#3 The plug on the drivers side at the front.

Which plugs are not firing? Have you checked the plug wires to those plugs that are not working to see if they are ok?

#3 The plug on the passenger side at the rear.

#2 The plug on the drivers side at the front.

This is the correct position of the cylinders.

#3 The plug on the passenger side at the rear.

#2 The plug on the drivers side at the front.

This is the correct position of the cylinders.

Right now, Im alone so I cant tell you which two fire and which two dont. I took the coil wire also from the distributer cap and check for arc, I got two pulses instead of four. I too think it could be a timing issue, but my dad says I have good compression. Im new to subaru's, thats why im here. I will check what has been asked... then Im gonna throw this car out into space...ok maybe I wont.

Sounds like a timing belt. Usually if the passenger side belt goes it will still run though. Not very well but it will still fire. Pull the outer covers off to check the belts. If they are OK look for a cracked distributor cap or alot of corrosion between the spark plug wires and the distributor cap.

I hate to sound like a newb, but where are those covers...I will check these now, if I know where to look. I replaced the distributor cap but not the rotor, I have a new one but not really sure how to put it on. I did have alot of corrosion on the dist. cap leads and rotor.. almost a 16 inch of crap. since the rotor would be centered in the cap... i dont know why only two plug wires are firing.

Standing in front of the car look down between the radiator and engine. You will see two, flat, black covers on either side of the front of the engine. There should be 4 10mm headed bolts that hold them down. Remove the bolts to access the belts. Beware that some of the bolts may not want to come loose. If this is the case just take a flat bladed screw driver and slip it between the covers and work them out. It will make more sense when you start to remove them.

Qman.... your name fits you! You were right, the driverside timing belt was off. sitting near the bottom of the cover. Thank you very much... you are a life saver. John

Qman.... your name fits you! You were right, the driverside timing belt was off. sitting near the bottom of the cover. Thank you very much... you are a life saver. John

Now that you are sure it's the timing belt, then you need to replace both (they are supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles). Here is the page that tells how to put them on so you get the timing right. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24

Good luck.

Now that you are sure it's the timing belt, then you need to replace both (they are supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles). Here is the page that tells how to put them on so you get the timing right. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=24

Good luck.

That was a great article. Thanks for the link. My timing belt was snapped in half. I called the local repair shop and they said they would need to tear down the engine to make sure there isnt any damage, because of the two belt system.. they said I had probaly dammaged something. Its is a subaru facility. What do you guys think? Think they are pulling my leg?

yep, they're pulling your leg :-\

the EA82 (what you have) is a non-interferance engine, so the pistons/valves never share the same space or collide. This means all you have to do is replace the belts and it will work just fine.

I had my driver side belt strip some teeth off doing 60mph. Repaired the belt and I was on my way again :cool:

yes never go there again. this engine is called non interference so the cam can freely rotate with the pistons in any position without damage. all you really need to to is change the belts and perhaps matinence things like seals and whatever is leaking. the oil pump seals are a good thing to replace while you have everything off.

you guys rock!!!

I normally work on Fieros and belong to a great forum (pennocks) but I got this subby for free and just have a great time in it. When it broke I thought Id search for a forum about subbys and picked this one. You all are very helpful!You should be proud. Ill be fixing this subby this weekend and if it even dies, Ill make sure I part it out here....cheaply...the interior is mint. Once again, thanks for the help. John