Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbospfi conversion

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! You have no idea how excited this makes me! Please elaborate on exactly how it was put together (pics would do wonders). Did you use the entire SPFI engine and fuel system and just add the external turbo stuff? If it's not too much work, I SO want to do this on my lifted wagon!

I've got my carbed motor bolted up to my new (to me) D/R tranny sitting on the floor of my garage. When I get it shifting with my lift and field test it a little I am going to the u-pull for a turbo motor; while I still have access to an engine hoist. My big questions are about fuel delivery and electrical.

Do I really need to pull the wiring harness and ECU with the motor, or is the turbo jumper on the ECU more than a myth? And do I need the instrument cluster as well? I want to keep my gauges mostly to avoid whatever implications arise with The State from changing my odometer. I was thinking of hard wiring an inexpensive digital volt meter onto the wire that feeds the boost gauge to make this digital.

How did you handle fuel lines, etc? I was going to pull out everything between the fuel tank and the engine, and put in aftermarket hoses, filter, and fuel pump. Will it run with the carbed plumbing so I can test out the motor, then do the upgrade after the fact?

If you (or anybody else) can help me out with any of this, it would be a huge help. Thanks.

- James B

for some specs..

EA82 SPFI TBI @ 2 PSI (electronically controlled) (2-16 psi available)

9.5:1 compression ratio

xover pipe, VR7, DP, 2" straight back to stock muffler

greddy profec electronic boost controller

Snowman, pm me if u get a chance.

I want to keep my gauges mostly to avoid whatever implications arise with The State from changing my odometer.

you can take the instrument cluster apart and change the odometer to match the current real mileage.

I'm also very interested in the details of this project...