Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saturday Morning Scare - Puddle of Oil Under Car! GASP PICS

So I wake up this morning and my mom tells me: "There is something wrong with your car, there is a puddle of oil under it." Not the words you want to hear.

I get outside, and sure enough, puddle of oil. I look under the car - dry oil pan. Dry oil cooler adapter. Dry oil cooler. Dry oil filter. Dry oil pump. Dry heads. Everything of interest on the underside of car - completely dry.

At this point, I start to wonder. Then, I look over a few feet to the spot where I parked yesterday afternoon for a few hours - big oil spot.

Now, I'm freaking out. I'm thinking for sure that the oil line to my turbo is leaking, since I did it once before when I got my headers installed.

So, I take apart my intake to see the turbo more clearly. Dry. No evidence of any leaks.

Then, I start my car to see if I can recreate it, after putting newspaper down, and I see that it leaks from the *front bumper*. Now, there's a good 4 inches between anything engine related and the bumper.

I open the hood, and I see it:

3_91_1026.jpg

Little puddle of oil right by passenger side headlight pod.

WTF?

I feel under my oil cooler and find it - a hole wore through the metal. Here's a pic of it after I took it out:

3_91_1025.jpg

And for good measure, I took a pic of the turbo after I took the intake off - no shaft play! woo hoo!

3_91_1023.jpg

So, I replace the oil cooler and everything is happy again. Still, crazy ************ - especially since I may have driven over 2000 miles and on the Dragon with my car like that :-\

When checking for shaft play, are you just spinning the shaft, or what, I realized I don't exactly know what to check for. Glad your cars alright. I have an oil cooler adaptor on the way, so I will be sure to not let that happen