Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I dunno what to do with my 93 Loyale!!!!!

Alright, here is my story. My charge, brake fluid, and parking brake lights all came on at the same time. I first thought it was my alternator. I had it checked and it was fine. I bought a new battery and connectors, still have the problem. I was still driving it until last night. It died on me on my way home from work. Before it was running fine but the dash lights were dim and the wipers and windows were slow. It was driving like it was out of gas (but it still had 1/2 a tank). I am almost positve it is somthing electrical, but I cant tell what.

Please help!!!

Once again

93 Loyale with 5spd and 4wd

Thanks,

Tyler

The problem may be in the wiring to the alternator. Those lights are in the alternator field circuit. First thing to check is the fusible links located in the box on the coolant reservoir. Make sure the contacts are ok. I would then measure the voltage on the output lead of the alternator and then the positive battery post. They should be very close the same at around 13 volts. If they are not, then there is a problem with the link between the two points. Also check the fuses in the dash for a problem. If that is ok the measure the voltage at the 'L' lead on the alternator. It may be a white/red wire. It should be 13 volts also.

I checked the fuses and fuseable links all are fine. I have to wait for my dad to get home to see if he has a voltmeter to check the other points. Thanks for the advice.:-\ Hopefully it will lead to my problems.

Chances are the problem is the alternator but checking the wiring will prove that. Along with changing the alternator if it is bad I would have the battery load tested after it has been charged up properly. If the battery is weak then you should replace the battery also as Morgan mentioned. If you keep the original battery be sure to charge it before putting the alternator in. Don't use it as a battery charger and maybe damage your new alternator.

Have someone test your charging system for you. Any Schucks, Jiffy Lube, or battery shop should have a midtronics tester. Call someone up and ask if they have the tester or any in-vehicle tester. It's no good unless the alternator is hooked up. Also make sure that the connector is good.

If not the fuse link it does sound like a slipping belt or most likely a bad voltage regulator inside the alternator.

Well I solved the problem. I first took it into NAPA were the guy tested the alt. and it was only turning out 11 amps. BINGO!! I then took it to a DIFFERENT Schucks and they tested it and got the same results. I had replaced it about a year and a half ago and got the lifetime warranty. So the guy swapped it out no questions asked.

If you live in Vancouver DO NOT go to the schucks on Mill Plain!!!

Thanks every one for advice. I really appreciate it.