Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatchbacks and a 5 Speed D/R

There is a few good write-ups in USRM-Repair & Mods. It is not that different than a wagon or a BRAT, I bought a kit from Bratsrus, in Selah WA. If you are not into metal fabrication than that is what I recommend. I wish it had come with a list of items that you would need. I had a transmission and a driveline and his kit, and did not see how to install it. I had to go look at other vehicle that had it installed before I realized I needed the shift linkage portion of the 5 speed dual range to make it work.

But I really enjoy my 5 speed BRAT especially on the freeway. Edrach says he can do 80 doing about 3500-4000 rpms, but at 70 mph I am pushing 3500 rpms so I am not sure about the difference but it may be in the tires that we are using.

Hi This is Jerry, i PM you yesterday about the 5 speed in my hatch did you read it. I have over 35,000 miles on my 5 speed in my hatch i love it. I use my hatch as a road runner and i have the turbo 5 speed dual range tranny with 3.70 gears. Not any good off road but the freeway works really good. Want to know more let me know Thanks Jerry

Yeah, Jerry how much is this kit, I also Pm you back and have a question, who is Andy? How long did it take to put this kit in and drive again. What other parts will I need? Like Richierich said, the shifter linkage for the five speed, my linkage on the four speed is broken but, it is in working condition, strange. Redneck engineering!!!lol. My gearing is 3.90, decent, but I do alot of highway driving, also go offroading quite a bit. I don't have a lift yet, but am working on that. Talking with AA, and Mudrat. I have a set of 28x14x7.5 or 8 Super Swampers I plan putting on a pair of pugs, looking for the steel ones!? Any ideas. Any other inbfo would help! THankyou all very much, this is like my home away from home. USMB rules:-\

83 Wagon 4sp. D/R 170k

84 Hatch 4sp. D/R 145k

86 Wagon AT, 14?k parked-help?