Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reverse gear slipping out.

In my 4 speed D/R Brat gearbox.

Is this just warn out gears? or can I fix it? Its when I reverse pretty hard, can't say if its speed or the torque of the motor. It just slips out when reversing (harder then normal) It gets a little annoying trying to get out my drive way in the wet...

My Brat started doing the same thing about a year ago, I have no idea why but it was only under load and it would give a loud clunk when it did it. I finaly just swapped out the tranny with a solid low miles one I scored at an auction. Sorry I don't have any insight for you, but I'm interested to hear what others say about this.

Often the roll pin wears outs in the Gear shift shaft.

Is the shifter is like neutral in gear remove the shift shaft and redrill the hole and replace with a bolt or larger roll pin.

Hope this helps.

reply back and let me know how u get on.

The reverse problem is inside the gearbox i think. Mine has always done what you describe, and i have fixed the slopply selector shaft problem, no change.

I have just got used to it and hold it in gear when im putting much torque through it. I think its quite common.

The second gear buissiness sounds like it may be related to the slopply selector shaft connection.

I agree, I think you have two problems. shifter linkage and worn gears. Check out the linkage underneath for the slop and as for the gear dumping I've had a lot of trannies perk up after adding some of that Lukas oil, maybe half a bottle.

When I bought my '85 turbo sedan with a 5-speed back in '90, I also bought the Subaru warantee with it. Good thing too because my tranny did what you described after having it less than a year and it only had 75K on the odo at the time too (had 60K on it when I bought it). It would pop out of 2nd gear and reverse (but would also grind INTO those gears). I took it in on that warrantee, and they ended up having to rebuild the tranny.... they said they wish they would have known it was going to need so many parts because they would have been better off putting in a new one! I did have to pay for a new clutch (not covered by warantee since it's a ''maintenance item''). The tranny would have cost me $1400 for what they did on it though if I hadn't had that warantee!

I agree, I think you have two problems. shifter linkage and worn gears. Check out the linkage underneath for the slop and as for the gear dumping I've had a lot of trannies perk up after adding some of that Lukas oil, maybe half a bottle.

Lukas oil? Would I be able to get that here in aus? Maybe I should ask a local message board about what oil would smooth up my box. At the moment if I want to change gears fast I need to dubble pump the clutch. Thanks for your help guys. I'll check out the linkage and report back if it helps.

Yes, Lucas is available in Australia. Goto your local parts store. Its usually stocked with the oil and grease. I don't think it will do much personally, but it worth a try in your situation. It's not cheap either. (way cheaper then a new box though!)