Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'Bout to turn 200,000 miles...

...on my 1996 Outback wagon, 4EAT AWD....its sitting at 199804 right now. :headbang:

I have no clue when ANY maintenance items were performed on it...its been kicked around my family since 148k....its perminatly mine as of 193k...and its had its regular oil and ATF changes...coolant temp sensor...thats it.

Ive got a timing belt for it...so it would be time for that I would think...and might as well do the tensioner as well. There are no oil leaks, and I run Motul 5w30 8100 100% synthetic oil in it. Oil change due soon...

its list of other needs are...knock sensor, guage coolant temp sender, an alignment, re-ring and thin head gaskets (no leaks! but burns some oil and is down on power), an exhaust and a drop in filter.

Wondering what else I should look out for on this...from what I gather, its still an all original engine, never been opened up except for (I hope) normal service items....

It is nice to finally hear someone talking good on the list besides me about the 2.5.

+1

And congrats on the milestone. I'd love to see mine turn 200K, but at the rate I drive it, that's six years away. I'm at 115K or so now, 2.5 with no problems.

Steve

yeah...the EJ25D is terrible! it always blows headgaskets!

hahahaha...its just 150 miles away from the 200k mark now.

After i get my RX back up and running...I will re-ring it and install the thinner EJ257 headgaskets...that should get me some of that lost HP/TQ back.