Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What should I do?

Phizinza

I want to get something done before the 11th of next month. On the 11th I'm heading up to the Flinders Rangers. (Its a huge bunch of hills in outback South Australia which has some good offroading spots.)

At the moment I'm running on 185/60R14 Dunlop road tyres (22").

My choices are...

Thanks to offroadsubaruguy I have found some cool M/T tyres to go on my 14" rims. Kumho Venture M/T 27x8.5/14's. But they will cost me $175AUD fitted each (the BFG A/T tyre would cost me $198 fitted.) Wearing isn't much of a problem. offroadsubaruguy has said they last a long time, and I will do most of my long distance on a set of old 13" tyres.

My other choice is to get some second hand 15" rims with 28" or 29" tyres and cut the hell out of my 2" lifted Brat, also drill out the hubs. That will cost me a little under $200 all up. With some less then half tread old tyres (that I probably won’t have a choice on tread pattern). Also I might not be able too find 15" rims with the same size dish as mine, that means I would need to bend the fenders out or get $400 worth of fender flairs (otherwise the cops would pull me over and find the other two obvious illegal parts of my car, very dark tint, 320mm steering wheel. And theres a few others.)

Any other options I have?

Please post what you think I should do... I'm thinking of getting the 14" M/Ts. So much easier to fit, I only have to cut one little mount point for the mud flaps on the front. And there muding tyres!

I say get the biggest Kumho MTs you dare to cut/bash to make fiit on the 14" rims you have. Put on a skid plate and have a blast!

Yeah... the 27" M/Ts are the biggest 14" tyre I've seen. I'm really thinking of ordering these tyres... I'll wait for some more replies and maybe tomorrow I'll order a set in. Should take maximum of a week to get them here and on my wheels..

A 27x8.50x14 tire is a pretty good size for a subaru, IMO.

My 4/3 lifted t-wagon is pretty able off road with the Cooper Discoverer LT's of that size and has a good amt. of power to turn them (especially w/ Lo range).

Do you have any idea how much cutting you'll need to do? (It won't be too much, I imagine.) With the 3" lift, 27's are an excellent fit in the rear w/out trimming.

^

My 02¢ on the matter.

by the looks of it the only bit is on the front. Where the mud flap bolts on, next to that plastic gard tha sits inside the front fender, theres a bolt that looks like it would be in the way. Soo, no real fender trimming I think. I'll prolly find out when I get them on. I will have to drive the car on some 13"s with 2 165/70R13's and 2 205/65R13's for tavelling, but mudding tyres would rock! I don't mind having to change the wheels every so offen... Plus the 14" Venture M/T's have 18/32 of an inch of tread depth! the bigger ones only have 13/32"... Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I'm going to order them tomorrow!