Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Relocating turn signals after front bumper install

I wanted to share how I relocated my turn signals after I installed a custom front bumper that didn't have a place for them.

I moved them up in the parking light and used a brake light bulb and plug. I had to use the dremel to make the hole in the lense bigger, and trim some of the edges off the brake light plug. I also had to extend the wires from the turn signal leads to get them up there. The turn signals came up on the brighter lead of the bulb and the parking lights on the lower watt lead. It works out great. I didn't even feel the need to put an orange bulb in there. The lense distorts it enuff that it works fine. Here are pix.

100_0793.JPG

100_0795.JPG

100_0796.JPG

Did you use both lights, or just one? I did this in anticipation of my bumper replacement (and cause I had a turn signal out anyway), and split them up, so the orange one on the side still lights with the parking lights, and the white one on the front lights with the signals. I just used the existing bulbs, so it blinks super fast, but it works fine. with a brake light bulb, does it blink at the normal rate? I was going to see if the turn signal bulbs would fit in the corner marker housing.

Did you use both lights, or just one? I did this in anticipation of my bumper replacement (and cause I had a turn signal out anyway), and split them up, so the orange one on the side still lights with the parking lights, and the white one on the front lights with the signals. I just used the existing bulbs, so it blinks super fast, but it works fine. with a brake light bulb, does it blink at the normal rate? I was going to see if the turn signal bulbs would fit in the corner marker housing.

if your blinkers are going really fast you have a bulb burnt out or one of the bulb sockets unplugged.

if your blinkers are going really fast you have a bulb burnt out or one of the bulb sockets unplugged.

or the bulbs in the corner markers have such a low draw by comparison to the bulbs in the turn signal that the system runs faster. I've checked, as that was my first instinct, it actually blinks a touch faster with the corner marker unplugged than with it, meaning it's drawing power, just not as much as usual. I'm just wondering if his brake light fix helps this.

With using the brake light the blinker is normal rate. The brake light is like two lights in one bulb so the lower watt is the parking light and the higher watt is the turn signal and that makes the blinker normal and still leaves a factory parking light. My small bulbs in the side of the marker don't work for some reason, but it still passes inspection so I don't care. :)

This is just an update. We had some nasty rain here and I was out driving around (of course). Now the one turn signal is full of water. If you try this make sure you seal it somehow or do what I did and just drill a small hole in the bottom to let the water back out. :)