Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Confirm this for me...

The coolant temperature is a critical aspect of emissions control, so I doubt that Subaru would sell a lower-temp thermostat for someone with an EA82... could get them in some trouble.

(Personally, I do not agree with those that promote lower-temp thermostats, so please feel free to disregard my views on the matter. :grin: )

My '85 FSM specs the thermoswitch as having a switch range of 199-207 degF.

i hate my engine running hot (190 +) ahhh

i run a 165 i have all my emissions disconnected runs great and better gas mpg at lower temps

the reason stock runs hotter is for emissions at high temp they say... it burns better... i dont thing so ive not been in subys for long but built many chevy v8 hot rods and ill tell you lower temp less gas, smother running, and less worry

take it or leave it

matt

i hate my engine running hot (190 +) ahhh

i run a 165 i have all my emissions disconnected runs great and better gas mpg at lower temps

the reason stock runs hotter is for emissions at high temp they say... it burns better... i dont thing so ive not been in subys for long but built many chevy v8 hot rods and ill tell you lower temp less gas, smother running, and less worry

take it or leave it

matt

Yea, I'm with that. Cooler is better. For me. But what I want to know is can a cooler thermoswitch be obtained?

subaru offered 180 and 192 thermostats for the EA82...

the thermoswitch is activated at what temperature?

thanks

TSPFI

the one on the radiator for the fans is set to 225...thats ALL subarus.

SUBARU offered only a 192 T-stat for engine coolant.

My best guess is that the electric fan kicks on between 200-225 degrees Fahrenheit. Not sure how true it is because my car has the digital dash, so I have to guess at it.

As for the thermostat, if you are looking for something colder(i.e. 180 or 160) then go to the parts store and ask for a thermostat for an 80s model Chevy 350. It will fit in perfectly. I know because I have a 180 in my GL-10. The only thing that you will have to do is drill the air bleed hole in it.

NAPA listed a 180 and a 192. I went with the 180 because I was having overheating problems. The 180 has seemed to work fine since February. I still notice my electric fan kicking in once in a while.

I still want to know the range on my temp guage. It doesnt have any temp marks anywhere. :(

I put a 180 in mine cause she was hanging around 230 too much. Flushed the cooling system and put a 180 in there. Now she runs at about 190 which is 20 deg cooler than she ran with the 190 in there. The fans never kicked on while I was in the city parade today. Only problem is she never kickes off high idle. She now idles around 1200RPM.:banghead: I wonder if the coolant temp sensor is shot......... I put the 180 in there so that when I need the A/C on the way to WCSS, she's not going to overheat while buzzin through Nevada and Oregon.

yeah since i installed the lower tstat i noticed a high idle from the heat sencer. i run only the stock mechanical fan i removed the electric fan (i installed a radiatior out of a toyota tercel) it all stays nice and cold. now to only fake out that sensor would be great

matt

As for the thermostat, if you are looking for something colder(i.e. 180 or 160) then go to the parts store and ask for a thermostat for an 80s model Chevy 350. It will fit in perfectly. I know because I have a 180 in my GL-10. The only thing that you will have to do is drill the air bleed hole in it.

One Q: Is the opening of the valve itself larger in diameter? Reason being is I put a 180 in mine, but the opening of the valve of the T-stat is smaller than the 190 Suby t-stat.

I took a long drive in the AZ heat and she runs at about 200 till I start climbing hills. Then she's back up to 235. She'll cool down to 190 as I decend down the grade.

With the 190, she'd normally run at 210 and climb to about 240 while cimbing a grade at 65-70. While taking forever to cool back down to 210. So, it appears as tho I just don't have enough coolant flow.