Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*EA82T* Is there a "Disable" for the Turbo? *EA82T*

When i bought my 87 GL-10, the guy hands me a belt and says.. " the guy who was looking at it last took this out, and now the turbo light doesnt go on anymore. "

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I see nothing, and can find nothing of the sort...

what makes the turbo light... light? is there something to disconnect it under the hood?

any suggestions are greatly appriciated! :)

Thanks!!

I am looking for the following parts...

- 4X4 Mudflaps

- Foam Spoiler (for 4 door)

- A-Pillar Gauge Mount.

or any similar parts. I'm also looking for a place in california that does full interior SCCA Compliant Roll Cages.....

thanks!!!

uhm, i understand that the turbo light is activated by a vacuum of some kind. how long have you had the car, and does it drive like it has any problems? you can't disable the turbo really, without removing parts from *inside* the turbo (not likely) or without routing the exhaust around it completely (also not likely).

You might could mostly disable it by disconnecting the linkage for the waste gate and wiring it open so there is little boost. If that hose that senses the boost pressure comes of by accident, it could cause the headgasket to blow like in the car I got from my nephew. No pressure was being sent to the waste gate valve and it never opened. The higher the rpm the more boost, more boost more rpms, etc. He said it was fun while it lasted. I now have a rebuilt Ea81 in that car because the engine had crank problems as well.

These are all GREAt ideas, as you can read here.....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38798

The car isn't in running condition... yet. The guy that sold it to me explained how "when the guy came to fix the hose, he wanted to drive it santa cruz..and he took this belt off, i think its for the turbo..." and i was like.. what!? the turbo doesnt run on a belt....

and it was a wierd belt with grooves instead of notches....

he then wrote me this email...

Maybe that belt came from my Camry I sold.. But I know he somehow

disconnected the turbo, maybe I am wrong about that also. I tried to keep an eye on him at all times. I don't see everything.

All I know is he did replace the injector and claimed that now that there was fuel to the cylinder perhaps its why it is running worse becuase it's not firing at the right time due to the knock sensor cuasing a detune

situation. So I would look into the Knock sensor.

So!! i think it solves that! but we will see. In my other thread, i'll keep everything up to date. :)

Thanks for the replys!!!

If the belt you are referring to has "grooves" that run all along the belt paraelle to one another than that belt is a serpentine belt and does not belong anywhere on your car. Subies use a "V" belt for the accesory pullies. If the belt has notches that look like they turn a gear than that may be a timing belt, but not likely.

For the pillar gauge pod, you can use one for an 93-01 Impreza, or for a WRX. The WRX pod is a full-pillar pod, meaning that it covers the entire pillar. You have to do some cutting at the bottom to make it fit right, ask Caboobaroo he has one in his car. I put a 93-01 Impreza pod in my turbowagon, it's only a 2 gauge pod and it doesn't cover the entire pillar, but it does fit.

• 1 year later...
If the belt you are referring to has "grooves" that run all along the belt paraelle to one another than that belt is a serpentine belt and does not belong anywhere on your car. Subies use a "V" belt for the accesory pullies. If the belt has notches that look like they turn a gear than that may be a timing belt, but not likely.

The exception to this is in the EA82 and EA82t in an XT. They use a modified version of the power steering pump, the short water pump and a wide "multy v" belt although not really a serpintine. just a side note.

As for the boost thinbg I wouln't drive it nowhere till you know you got some some amount of boost. You could connect a psi gauge by using a T in the line going to the boost solenoid(behind Maf on strut tower). The switch for the light is right next to it. it only has one vacuum line going to it. it can be tested by removing that vac hose and blowing into it. If the light comes on it's workin.

The exception to this is in the EA82 and EA82t in an XT. They use a modified version of the power steering pump, the short water pump and a wide "multy v" belt although not really a serpintine. just a side note.

As for the boost thinbg I wouln't drive it nowhere till you know you got some some amount of boost. You could connect a psi gauge by using a T in the line going to the boost solenoid(behind Maf on strut tower). The switch for the light is right next to it. it only has one vacuum line going to it. it can be tested by removing that vac hose and blowing into it. If the light comes on it's workin.

this thread was started back in 2005 bud....:rolleyes: