Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The CEL has been on for a while. So, today I went to AutoZone and they pulled up code P0302 from my car. I understand that this means "misfire on cylinder 2."

After fiddling with the distributor cap, spark plug wires, and the immediately related goodness, I started the car up and the CEL was not on. It did eventually turn on.

So, since I do not know what work has been done on this car (I bought it just last Wednesday, CEL did not come on during test drive), I'm planning on at least changing all 4 spark plugs this weekend. What else should I do? I'm planning on doing all the work with my father, the quasi-mechanic, so as to not spend extra money at the Subaru dealer.

Any help is appreciated. thank you

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this morning I changed the spark plugs and wires and reset the ECU (well, I had to remove the battery to get to spark plugs 2 & 4 easily). Since driving it about 20 miles since 7:30am, I haven't had the CEL come on. When idling, the car doesn't do the "putt-putt" thing (for lack of a better term).

But, the spark plug for cylinder 2 looked good! In fact, all plugs looked quite new. Maybe it was a damaged wire. I hope that's all that it was.

Hopefully that will be the last I see of the CEL for a looooooong time.

Thanks, and I'll update

• 2 weeks later...

Light came back on.

Tomorrow, going back to AutoZone to see if they pull the same code.

It turned on while idling at a railway crossing... second time that has happened (turned back on and off since last post)!

we'll see.

I guess one thing to do would be to check that the fuel injector for that cylinder is functioning properly.

Matt

I'm hoping that's all. I don't have any time to do this during the week (well, or any idea of how to) so I'll be waiting until Saturday. However, I did buy some of that Super Concentrated STP Fuel Injector gas additive and pour it all in there when I refueled today.

It was the same code. Checked it at AutoZone today... also reset it.

We'll see what happens

thanks

PS: Any help on the fuel injector job would be appreciated ;)

• 1 year later...

My fix turned out to be the front 02 sensor. Here is my review from a diff thread: I have a 2001 Forester L with 85k miles on it. I have been chasing an intermittent hesitation under load problem for the past year. Only occurred when engine was warm. The front 02 sensor had been replaced once at 40k miles. I suspected it again this time, but since the only codes thrown had been cyl's 2&4 misfire ( p0302 & p0304) I assumed it must be ignition related. So I replaced plugs and wires 8 months ago...no effect. Did the dollar bill test over exhaust pipe, it was fine. Misted the coil, no sparks. I mentally sort of ruled out the fuel filter since it only happened when the engine was warm. Finally, a week ago while cruising on hwy at 65 mph, I felt the hesitation again (I wasn't even accelerating this time) and a new code was thrown....p0172. AutoZone read it for me, I described the symptoms to the guy and asked if he thought it might be the front 02 sensor. He said, "absolutely." So I decided to replace it next. Cost me $100.75 incl tax for the oem part# 22791aa00a from Cityside Subaru. I asked the Parts guy there if his experience was that this model engine needed a new front 02 sensor every 40k miles. He said, "no, these sensors are good for 100k miles." Well, bullsnot on that. I replaced the new front 02 sensor in 1 hour reaching from the top over the passenger side of the engine using an adjustable wrench. Be sure to use the thread lube so you can get it out easily next time.....after another 40k miles. I took out the air channel assembly first for better access. That seems to be the fix. No further hesitation since. Car runs like new.