Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radiator blues, maroon hatch

I've had this '83 GL hatchback since 2000, only rallied it a few hairs. Recently, I had a cooling hose go bust and had to pry the hose clamp off because it was rusted all to :banghead:. After 3 trips to the local auto shop, I found a hose that fit and some new clamps, only problem was that I had bent the nozzle to the radiator getting the old hose off. Since I've already spent stupid amounts of money on this $500 dollar ride, anybody got a radiator for sale? I want to pass the torch with this soob to someone who will have more time to appreciate it and monster it the way that it was meant to be, but I can't justify selling the beast if it doesn't run. Anybody out ther that can help me with the radiator woes?

hi rainsplitter, Take the radiator down to the shop and have them put a new outlet on it. they are soldered on and they shouldn't charge you much. On another note.... take a picture of the one you have and post it and maybe I have a good one for you. I have 2 rebuilt and one brand new still in the box and all of them are different. if you post a picture please email me at: jndoe@theofficenet.com so I know that it's here or just email me the picture by inserting it rather than an attachment (I don't accept attachments). We'll get it straighted out one way or the other. boing

In what way did you "bend" the outlet? If it is just out of round, as opposed to cracked, etc, and it is a brass outlet, a radiator shop can use a tool that expands the outlet from the inside.

It's bent in between 1/8 and 1/4 inch on one side of the outside edge, not at the weld. As far as I can tell, it's not cracked, but as hard as I can clamp that new hose on, it still leaks and without taking the whole radiator out I can't tell for certain that it's not cracked. I'd thought about using some type of tool to bend it back to round, but haven't found anything yet that will do the trick. Thanks.