Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Downpipe

I'll get back to you about making you one...I have to work out the transistion from the new downpipe to the old mid-pipe. But still leave the option for the new mid pipe.

I can tell you that the DP wouldn't cost much...it cost me $40 to have it bent up. I could probably make them around $60-$75. Let me look into it.

Oh yeah guys, these are racing downpipes...yeah racing....;)

I'm thinking that a bell mouth for merging the wastegate might be the best solution. Even if the wastegate pipe is longer, all you're doing is moving the turbulence further down the exhaust system. The bell mouth is the same design the Cobb tuning uses on their downpipes.

What really is being gained with this design of downpipe? I am curious. I could make one myself. I work at a exhaust shop. Maybe next time I come across a turbo Subie I might want to do this. Don't have one right now. Just sold my 89 GL10 Wagon for $1700.00. I thought that was a good deal considering I got the car for free less than a year ago.

this downpipe is 2.25" od that's a significant increase from the what 1.5" I.D. of the old exahust. THe stock pipe looks big, but it is a pipe with a heat shield. This downpipe provides more flow than stock...considering how the stock one has a huge catylitic convertor on it.

I'm thinking that a bell mouth for merging the wastegate might be the best solution. Even if the wastegate pipe is longer, all you're doing is moving the turbulence further down the exhaust system. The bell mouth is the same design the Cobb tuning uses on their downpipes.

Hey, I have a bellmouth downpipe on my GL-10 and it works exceptionally well. It funnels down into a 2.25"pipe that goes all the way back to the muffler. I am considering upgrading the downpipe to 2.5" dia. when I get back. Here it is in my list of mods from way back:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24110&page=3&pp=10