Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!!! The Brat Tried to commit suicide!

So after sitting for a week or two I finally got a new used radiator.. clean it up real good installed all good with good hoses and everything.. Was burpin the lines and revvin' it up a little bit from inside the engine bay when *STICK* goes the throttle. OH ************! ASAP I jump in and shut her off... too late... now at idle I'm getting this mad metal on metal squeeking noise and a wicked loss of power w/ a piston slap kind of noise trying to drive... I'm thinking it toasted a ring or two. gaskets maybe? Arrg... I guess I'm doing a re-build. Thoughts?

General thoughts not specific to your Brat's engine:

The EA81 is a short-stroke engine, and as such should tolerate some pretty high RPM; RAM Engines lists their aircraft-modified engines as having max-HP at very high RPM (8500??). Stock valve train should start to "float" long before excessive RPM is reached. 5-20 seconds of overspeed should not have toasted a healthy engine.

So, unless it broke a rod (possible), or unless the engine had been sitting for awhile and the rings, oil system, whatever was not up to snuff, then things should be relatively OK. That being said...

With metal on metal sounds I would not worry about a gasket. I also do not think it is likely to be rings. There is a lot of mention of "piston slap" on this board; I don't think most people here understand piston slap. I will just say that if you didn't have piston slap before, you do not have it now (though you may have a broken piston).

Possibilities: Broken con-rod, bent pushrod, broken piston.

Check oil on dipstick for shiny particles. If you see them, it is probably engine replacement time. Check compression; if a cylinder is low, pull the valve covers and check the pushrods and rockers for bend and breakage, respectively. If possible, check for bent valves (unlikely).

Good luck.

So after sitting for a week or two I finally got a new used radiator.. clean it up real good installed all good with good hoses and everything.. Was burpin the lines and revvin' it up a little bit from inside the engine bay when *STICK* goes the throttle. OH ************! ASAP I jump in and shut her off... too late... now at idle I'm getting this mad metal on metal squeeking noise and a wicked loss of power w/ a piston slap kind of noise trying to drive... I'm thinking it toasted a ring or two. gaskets maybe? Arrg... I guess I'm doing a re-build. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the good info.. I said "Piston Slap" because it sounds exactly what my Yamaha Blaster was like when the rings came apart and the piston busted a small chunk off the top part of it. Piston slap is probably something besides the piston slapping violently against the cylinder walls though.. I will check compression and pull the valve covers and keep you updated.

Okay well here's what I found:

Dscvalve.jpg

Can YOU find the leak?

I tried to get a best of a pic as I could of the coolant coming out through that nut right there.... Btw compression is all between 115 and 150.. 115 being #4 and 150 being #2... #1 was about 125 and #3 was about 140...

This leak is on the 1-3 side.. 2-4 doesn't seems to be doing it... So.. what am I looking at here?

a friends hatch did that when we were putting the carb on it... then it got a real real loud tick of death and a wicked miss at idle..

my first thought was how? since it is NOT a hydraulic lifter engine.. so i figured out which side was makin the noies and pulled the valve cover.. the #4 exhaust valve adjuster had come loose.. i mean so loose i could stick my thumb between it and the valve..

anyways, tightened it up and she runs good again.. car only had 16k original miles and is an 83..

i have seen engines "sweat" inside the valve covers before.. if its not turning your oil into milk its prolly not a leak..

i would pull both valve covers and check the adjustments on the valve train before i went further.. you might just find one that came loose like i did..

the #4 exhaust valve adjuster had come loose.. i mean so loose i could stick my thumb between it and the valve..

i have seen engines "sweat" inside the valve covers before.. if its not turning your oil into milk its prolly not a leak..

i would pull both valve covers and check the adjustments on the valve train before i went further.. you might just find one that came loose like i did..

I dont know if that is considered sweating or not... seems like it's squirting out of there pretty good...

As far as the valve adjust thingy.. check the pic again, I changed it.. Is that the valve adjuster? and is there supposed to be no gap between that and the valve at any time during its stroke? There is a least one that has a small gap in it......

your arrow is pointing to the rocker arm, and the adjuster nut is at the other end (top of the pic)

if it's actually squirting water from that bolt, then it soulds like you lost the head gasket and it's allowing coolant into the bolt passage...

a cracked head could do the same thing.