Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ECU interchangeability/manual to auto/question

thanks, that would make sense...now in reversing the original question...would that also be the same(interchangability) for an ECU taken from an automatic to be installed into a manual...would anything have to be done to the inhibitor and parking switch...

Privided it is the same fuel system, there is no difference.

Not that I'm aware of. with the 3AT and the 5MTs on the older soobs, there is absolutely NO input from the trans to the ECU that I know of. And none that I have seen in the FSMs

I'm using an ECU from an auto car in my 5 speed car that was originally automatic.. The part number is the same as my spare ECU that came from a manual car.

Yes there is a pin that tells the ECU if the tranny is AUTO OR MANUAL, this is for the cruise control to funtion.

I did a 3AT to 5MT D/R Swap and had to change this pin ground to make my cruise work, also I had to splice the Neutral saftey switch wire down in the console so it would start.

Thanks for responding back..can you explain one more question.. what do you mean by "splicing the Neutral wires down in the console"`....I like what you have done to your car, just great...did I miss it, but what year is the turbo subaru?..................................................................

Yes there is a pin that tells the ECU if the tranny is AUTO OR MANUAL, this is for the cruise control to funtion.

I did a 3AT to 5MT D/R Swap and had to change this pin ground to make my cruise work, also I had to splice the Neutral saftey switch wire down in the console so it would start.

Steveman09 did an auto-to-manual tranny swap, and kept the ECU, so he had to do some chassis rewiring.

As I mentioned in my edited post, you are just doing a black-box swap, so you should not need to worry about chassis wiring issues. Installation options are set by chassis wiring options.

the only auto that you really have to worry about is the 4EAT and its nothing really to worry about. I just have a fat batch of wires that did go to the tranny but now they're snipped off and hidden away and you'd never know it was an auto car... except for the push button start on the dash:-p

Thanks for responding back..can you explain one more question.. what do you mean by "splicing the Neutral wires down in the console"`....I like what you have done to your car, just great...did I miss it, but what year is the turbo subaru?..................................................................

Mine is an 87'