Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brought another one back from the dead!!!

1989 Subaru XT6. 5-spd Full-time 4wd. Diff Lock. 101k mi. Saved it from a u-pull-it yard. It hadn't been "processed" (Battery, Stereo, Gas Tank, Wheels Removed) yet. Asked about it... Looked at it.. Engine cranked but wouldn't start.. So I thought "Easy- Timing belts or fuel pump"... haggled it down to $420 bux.. Got hooked up with a carfax.. according to all the info I have on it.. it hadn't "ran" in ~6 years. Dug into it.. timing belts looked good.. hooked the fuel pump up direct to a good battery.. nothing. Okay. Fuel pump is bad. Got a "Free99" EA82 fuel pump from the same u-pull-it yard when YellowSub was getting a "new" headlight for the RX. Hooked it up with the old fuel filter on the tank side of the pump and drained the tank... bought a gallon of gas and pumped it through the lines 6 times to clean them up. I'm poor and two of my plug wires are f'ed up.. but I was anxious.. so I hooked everything up.. only 4 cyls.. and there it goes.. IT RUNS! and doesn't smoke! Moves under its own power! Shifts great. I could only drive it about 4 inches because I had it frankensteined to the 98 GT.. Here's the list of stuff I *need* to do to it:

Spark plugs, Spark plug wires, Disty cap/rotor, Oil + Filter, Tranny and rear diff fluid, Rad Caps, Coolant flush, Timing belts, Valve Cover Gaskets, PCV Valve, Air filter, Front Axles, Tires. It needs a little interior work and a little exterior work... A new windshield wouldn't hurt.. but isn't critical or illegal..

And of course I gotta have a question in here... the fuel pump isn't getting any power at the "connector" and I DON'T want to hard-wire it with a switch if I don't HAVE to. So if anyone could give me some troubleshooting ideas to why it wouldn't be getting power back there??

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I LOVE YOU GUYS! :brow:

Also, if anyone has something to add that I left out of my list of stuff to do.. please don't hesitate to throw it in there.. the car sat for SIX YEARS. I could use some tips on what to do to get it reliable. Thanks Again!!!

-Eli-

Good work on the car.

Check the ECU for any codes that may help. The ground for the pump is normally made by the ECU. There are some ignition signals that the ECU looks at that need to be working in order for the ECU to keep the pump turned on. The signals it seems would have to be there because you got the car to run. This makes me think that if it is the ground that is not being made to the pump then the ECU may be bad for that ciricuit. I repaired a couple of these for the Loyal series that had that problem.

Check to see if the pump is getting 12 volts on both sides of the wires by placing the common meter lead to ground and probe each side of the pump with the key turned to on. If you don't have 12 volts then the problem may be the relay or in the wiring to it.

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1493&highlight=

There's wiring diagrams for the XT-6 in that link, they be huge in the thread, but you can save them to your 'puter and print them out. Hopefully, it'll help you find the problem.

ECU, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuseable link, associated wiring and connectors.

The ECU turns on the FPR sending power to the pump, the ECU also controls the ground for the pump. Power for the pump is from one of the fuseable links, but that should be good, as it also supplies power for the injectors, and you did have it running.

ECU, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuseable link, associated wiring and connectors.

The ECU turns on the FPR sending power to the pump, the ECU also controls the ground for the pump. Power for the pump is from one of the fuseable links, but that should be good, as it also supplies power for the injectors, and you did have it running.

Thanks for the link!! I got an intuition that "fuel pump relay" sounds like the culprit on that one.. I am OCD about checking fusables now because I tore a ladies dash half apart (after checking FL's twice) before I knew that sometimes they burn up without showing through the casing. I check my FL's by taking one side off and giving it a slight tug to see if it's busted or not. I actually had to replace a green one for the XT6.. but it seemed to be for the power window relay. Every time I go to junkyards I take any FL's I can find... I have probably like 15 or 20 good ones of different colors. I don't know if I was specific but I had the fuel pump hardwired to the jumper cables I was using to supply power to the starter motor. That motor SCREAMS! Man it sounds so good.. I can't wait to drive it!

you gave it an oil change right????

Here's the list of stuff I *need* to do to it:

Spark plugs, Spark plug wires, Disty cap/rotor, Oil + Filter, Tranny and rear diff fluid, Rad Caps, Coolant flush, Timing belts, Valve Cover Gaskets, PCV Valve, Air filter, Front Axles, Tires. It needs a little interior work and a little exterior work... A new windshield wouldn't hurt.. but isn't critical or illegal..

I would like to use synth but I'm too poor right now... do the XT6 need heavier oil like 20w50 or can I get away with 10w30?