Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what year OBS has 1.8 / 2.2 liter?

the EA82 was never offered in the legacy or impreza. It's an EJ18. After a number of years they just swapped the EJ18 for the EJ22 and forgot all about it.

Although, for those who want cheap performance for their EJ22, find some EJ18 heads, get some headwork done to it, and slap it on. (raises compression)

what's the differences between these motors? does the 1.8 liter get decent gas mileage? i know the EA82 got good gas mileage, is the EJ18 similar to the EA82 or get bad mileage in like the EJ22....which i have one of. looking for something with good mileage, currently have all 6 cylinders and the EJ22 OBS, looking for an EA82 or EJ18.

well, an AWD EJ18 isn't going to get that much better mileage than an EJ22.

92mm bore at 67mm stroke, single port intake/exhaust, 4v SOHC

vs

88mm bore at 75mm stroke, dual port intake, dual port exhaust, 16v SOHC

Huh :confused:

The only Major difference between the EJ18 and the EJ22 is the displacement. Looking at the two motors side by side you can't really tell any difference without looking at the EJ identifier cast on the block. You can swap heads and manifolds between the two easily. Both are 16v motors and everything.

As for what years, the OBS only came along in 95. From what I can gather on Impreza WAGONS it goes like this:

93-94 only came with the 1.8

95 L and OBS came with 1.8, LX came with 2.2

96-01 They all came with the 2.2

Keith

Yeah Gary, Keith is right on the button.

I had a 94 Impreza L wagon 1.8 for about 80k and 2 years. Averaged in the mid 20s. GREAT engine never had a single issue with her. It is a little less powerful than the 2.2 but really not that much. I think it is about a sec off on 0-60 times. What's your fasination with the OS? I love the look of the wagon w/o the 2 tone look. The 1.8 engines are a dime a dozen in the two pull a parts up here. Nice low mileage wrecks. The 2.2 is a little harder to find low mileage.

Yeah Gary, Keith is right on the button.

The 1.8 engines are a dime a dozen in the two pull a parts up here. Nice low mileage wrecks.

Really? A Dime a dozen???? We need a 1.8 right now. How much do they seriously go for, and what yards? Most of what I've found is higher mileage.

Keith