Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just braging...

On a trip to Yellowstone N.P. this weekend, I got 35 mpg in the Forester. It's up hill too?

The worst leg of the journey was 28 mpg.

Prior to this trip my best ever was 28 mpg

...and I once got 21 mpg on a 300 mile trip.

Had to tell someone.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Wagon--Mad Max

01 Forester--mileage is getting better...

I have no idea on plugs...?

The only thing I did different is put 30.5 psi in the tires all the way around.

When I got 21 mpg, I had the tires lower as it was a winter trip and I wanted more tire on the road.

I noticed the gas along the way was 85 octain rather than 86 in SLC.

I'm baffled too...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Wagon

01 Forester

Just braging...

On a trip to Yellowstone N.P. this weekend, I got 35 mpg in the Forester. It's up hill too?

The worst leg of the journey was 28 mpg.

35 MPG???!!! :slobber:

what hurts even more is that your WORST mpg is still better than my best mpg.

Some of the best mileage I've ever gotten was driving through the Rockies. :confused:

My best guess is that WOT in the thin air means no pumping losses climbing the uphill grades, coasting downhill W/injectors off means no fuel expenditure on the downgrades.

Never got as high as 35 tho. More like 29-30 IIRC.

With the hike in gas prices, I got into a discussion with my mom about speeds (remember 55 mph?) and fuel economy. Just for fun I drove back to my place at 65 mph instead of my usual 70 or so. (I was in the slow lane, I promise!) I got 36 mpg! My usual is 32 mpg on the highway.

So even though my dear Impreza has PISTON SLAP at a mere 3k, I suppose I really shouldn't complain.

I throw like.. 35mpg in my tires and get amazing milage :drunk:

Avid touring tires are pretty sweet for highway driving...

i also found my milage spike when i threw in a new air filter. Fuel filter might also help it out.

oh, and on my road trip i did a small experiment, doing 65-68mph gets AMAZINGLY better milage than 70-75mpg... soo i guess it's how you drive, right?

You know I heard from a (probably unreliable source, the news radio) that if we drop the speed limit either to 65 or 55, I forget which, we'd save around 25 million barrels of oil daily!! Even if that is terribly exaggerated, I'd gladly do it for the sake of our resources, and to lower gas to where it's reasonable. I also heard that a gallon of gas in Norway is $ 6.35. Holy crap. Regarding the amazing 35 mpg post, I live at 7500 feet, and commonly drove up to 9000 in Northern New Mexico. My average mpg is no greater than when I drive home to Mississippi, elevation 2. You do lose an avg. of 3% of your horsepower per 1000 ft. of elevation gain on a non turbo car. It feels like I have a WRX when I go to sea level!!! without the extra insurance payment. Buddy the dog enjoys the trips though. Especially with the big a** sunroof I have in my Forester:D

04 Forester XS 5 speed.....Best mileage 34 mpg. Worst, 25. This far surpasses my 02 Forester which at best got 24 mpg. That also had a BAD BAD case of piston slap which I suspect kept the knock sensor busy and the timing retarded.

I run the tires at 35 psi. I average 31-32. On the interstate, I set the cruise for 65, no higher. 70 mph drops the mileage by 2-3 mpg. That 34 mpg was on a 55 mph road for over 3 hrs.

So I have concluded...higher tire pressure than on Placard....Under 65 mph so long as I'm not trying to make time. My $.02

I am not sure tire pressure is that significant.

I keep max pressure in my tires (44 PSI in the potenza 950s) and do not see any major MPG benefits. The best MPG I got was 25. Don't drive below 70 MPH though.

As for that 55 MPH thing, sure, that is why you guys had the national 55 MPH speed limit in 70's and 80's. History repeats itself!

tire pressures and mileage......

I prefer to leave the tire psi at the stock settings as handling is more my concern expecially at highway speeds. Given higher pressures will benifit with better mileage . I feel that stock pressures will be safer for hard cornering or abrupt manuevers(more contact patch) also less uneven wear on the tires.

tire pressures and mileage......

I prefer to leave the tire psi at the stock settings as handling is more my concern expecially at highway speeds. Given higher pressures will benifit with better mileage . I feel that stock pressures will be safer for hard cornering or abrupt manuevers(more contact patch) also less uneven wear on the tires.

I see what you are saying, the higher pressure can negatively effect handling in wet, snow, ice, and sand.

However, cornering and handling is improved a lot in dry.

Pick and choose.

I also get worse tire wear with stock pressure (shoulders).