Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale with the shakes

Is it normal for a slight shimmying and shaking of the car when it idles? It's idling at 804rpm which is 4rpm's too fast according to the spec, but I doubt that that would be causing it. This is my first Subaru, and I am unsure whether this is normal.

I don't think it's an idle speed problem....in fact, I doubt it's much of a problem at all....

it's hard to diagnose how serious the vibration is over the internet, but I wouldn't worry about it if the Check engine light (CEL) isn't on, and all of your fluids are fine (specifically if you're losing coolant or something like that).

my '85 carbed EA82 had the "engine" fuse blow, and ran real rich, before I figured it out I manually cranked up the idle to keep it running, when I figured out and replaced the fuse, the idle was almost 1500 rpm's, didn't make it run any more rough, then I adjusted it down to about 500, still pretty smooth (point: it doesn't matter...)

just for kicks...what subaru is this exactly?

92 loyale 1.8, 5spd, 4wd, 63K

Thanks for the info!

oh, duh, I guess I could've looked at the title line. I mostly wanted to know if it was carbed or FI, and since you didn't say turbo (not common, especially in loyales), I assume it's SPFI....

anyway, is there a sound related to the shake? knocking or anything?

does it get better as the engine warms up?

just say McBrat's gorgeous low mileage brat a couple weeks ago, and it has a bit of a shake to it when it's cold, so much you can see the car physically wobble back and forth, it has great condition stock exhaust, so it's real quite, it's kind of weird, it's like someone's rocking the car physically from the other side... but once it warms up it smooths out alot

i always thought the loyales were spfi (little black boot running to the airbox right off the top of what looks like a carb)

at any rate, almost every ea82 subaru i have ever had has always had a little shake to it when idleing.

adjust your idle down to 750 or so and see if that fixes it, i had one once that would "shake" when it idled at 900 rpm's or so, but at 700-750 it was smooth..

carbed loyale??? are you sure? I'm pretty sure that after '87 all ea82's were FI...

anyway, as long as there's no noise, and all the fluids are fine, and there aren't any other related symptoms (loss of power, bogging, etc.), I wouldn't worry about it a bit!