Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why more power at part throttle than floored?

There isnt a way to recondition/repair them. Used or new is about the only way to go. Used is considered illegal but if you do the work I dont see how it would come back to get you.

I was wondering about *ahem* "reconditioning" them to allow better exhaust flow, not necessarily for functionality. Any idears there???

Note: I am in a non-emissions checking area/state.

I went thru this with my 82 GL 4WD Wgn - at about 265K. Was running about 12 psi compression in one cylinder. Rebuilt engine, didn't fix it. My shop (Smart Service in north Seattle - Subaru only, all factory trained techs) finally found the problem - fuel filter, but not the plastic one under the hood, there is one somewhere between the tank and pump. Fixed the problem.

Car is now at 305K and going strong. Getting 27mpg mostly highway driving with EA81 engine and 4 spd d/r trans.

• 3 months later...

The knock sensor kicking in and causing the timing to be retarded can cause that. Depends how much power it has to start and how much power it looses that will really tell you, there is no substitute for experiance. If the drop off in power is not too dramatic you could try additive to raise the octane rating or disconnect the knock sensor from the block but leave it connected to the wire and try it but be carefull not to let the motor, "pink". You need to tape the sensor up out of the way of being knocked while you go for your test drive.

The post about the "other" fuel filter (near the gas tank) is a good one. I'm having a very similar prob. w/my 83 wagon, and have replaced nearly everything that it might be and have yet to solve it, though the cat. is up for surgery this coming week. Mine acts as though the choke isn't opening properly, but it does. If I solve my prob., I'll be sure to post it. Definately check that other filter if yours has one. My father always said: "Check the cheep stuff first".

Thanks all for the great posts. I'm learning a lot!

FIXED!!! :headbang::clap::D

Got a TPS from a low(er) mileage Loyale, swapped it out and now I have throttle response! It took a little more than I expected to get the old one out (just two screws and a connector, right?) but it was worth it. Hopefully I'll even get better gas mileage out of the deal. We shall see...

Anyone rebuild old TPSs? If not, I'll tear into this one to see if it can be done/if I can spot the problem.

Thanks for all the help!!! Let me know if you want more details.

Could be a failing fuel pump. It can't deliver the volume the car demands at WOT and starts leaning out costing power.

Tie in a fuel pressure gauge and zip-tie it somewhere on the windshield that you can see from the drivers seat. Note the fuel pressure under WOT.