Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hay, I have a 1997 gtb Legacy, and i lately had to get my left front corner looked at because an old woman backed into it at the mall, =(....

now the shock is making a Banging noise when i go over bumps, the nut is fully done up tight, but i think that there is a spacer or washer missing from the shock that the pannel beaters took out, does any one have a diagram with an exploded view of a 97 gtb legacy front left Bilstein shock they could send me?????

in the 94 legacy i had awhile back,it developed a bang everytime i hit the smallest of bumps.turned out the strut was dead(only one died,other one in back was fine)

how bad was the damage,maybe the strut was damaged

as far as an exploded view,that i don't have sorry.

The struts are filled with oil, and have tiny pports and seals in them and all that good stuff. Sounds like your strut went bad. Either its out of oil or it blew something internally. Try the bounce test. Bounce really hard ont eh corner of the car, it shouldnt bounce more then once. If it does you have a bad strut.

nipper

Hay, I have a 1997 gtb Legacy, and i lately had to get my left front corner looked at because an old woman backed into it at the mall, =(....

now the shock is making a Banging noise when i go over bumps, the nut is fully done up tight, but i think that there is a spacer or washer missing from the shock that the pannel beaters took out, does any one have a diagram with an exploded view of a 97 gtb legacy front left Bilstein shock they could send me?????

That's a view of a 97 Legacy front strut, not sure what a gtb and Bilstein are though.

https://www.parts.com/schematics/images/mechanical/F732080.gif

The strut mount is missing.

Hay, thanks for replys, i did get the shock regassed and fitted with smaller valves afterwoods , because i thought it was that too, but it is still making the same noise, i checked the length of the strut at the top part in the bonnet, and its about 15mm longer than the right thred, i also tryd a proper subaru dealer but all they wanted to do was sell me 2 new front struts for $1000 each

Hay, thanks for replys, i did get the shock regassed and fitted with smaller valves afterwoods , because i thought it was that too, but it is still making the same noise, i checked the length of the strut at the top part in the bonnet, and its about 15mm longer than the right thred, i also tryd a proper subaru dealer but all they wanted to do was sell me 2 new front struts for $1000 each

$1,000 each! I had my front struts replaced recently,(1998 Forester), and the whole job, including labor, was around $400. If you have a friend who knows anything about cars have him go to the dealer with you, and ask the dealer to explain to him why the struts would call $1k each.