Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hella 550s?

Blubaru703

So I picked up a pair of Hella 550 off roading lights for my GLf and want to mount the upright on the front bumper of the car. I don’t want them blocking my normal driving lights so that leaves me with only one place to put them and that is in front of the grill. But if I do that I am worried about airflow going into the radiator might somewhat blocked by the Hellas. My question is do you all think that the Hellas will block enough air to the point where they will become a problem?

product-hella-550.jpg

Hella%20550%20box281428.jpg

I put Hella 500s (the big round ones) in front of my grill, and it hasn't caused any problems. I used to have overheating problems due to a bad radiator, and the lights worried me then, but since putting in a new radiator, it runs very cool, even with the lights.

Here are some pictures so you can see how much of my grill is blocked.

I did mount them near the front of the bumper to allow more airflow around them, but I'd say as long as your cooling system is in good shape, the lights won't make much (if any) difference.