Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Beefing up the power in a 2005 obw 2.5i?

I have hand calculated my fuel mileage for over 100,000 miles and I have always found it to be reliable. While I don't get terribly scientific and fill up with the same nozzle at the same time of day with the same weather conditions I feel that I am fairly accurate. I usually use the same gas station and I never top off, and I get consistent mpg figures from my normal drive so that says something. I do not know how often the digital ECU samples throttle position and how it filters the data so I can't make any assumptions about its margin of error, but since it is only about 5-7% off I would say that the engineers did a decent job while still hitting their target deadline and cost.

Andy

I agree with you, langosta39, and like you I have calculated my mpgs for many years--with a great deal of accuracy I might add.

While extraneous factors could certainly affect one "human" calculation, they begin to average out with your second set of numbers. Pretty soon they become statistically insignificant!

Interesting. I may start calculating this myself and compare it to the trip meter in my car. I'm interested to know if there is a difference myself.

Also, I would imagine the trip meter calculates the MPG through some kind of fuel flow sensor used for the carberator some how. (I'm making all of this up, but it sounds more reasonable to me than using the accelerator position for sampling.)

I am wondering if anybody has tried the e-ram product on a 2.5i engine. It alledgedly will increase HP by %10-%15 by using a high current electric fan that kicks in during WOT and pressurizes the intake a little. Sounds corny, I know, but it just might work. The poor-man's supercharger I Guess. http://www.electricsupercharger.com/I've considered it for my '98 LOB (if I ever get it fixed)

-Nassor

"Sounds corny"? Sounds fishy! Now if we only had some clams we'd have a real beach party.

QUOTE=nassor]I am wondering if anybody has tried the e-ram product on a 2.5i engine. It alledgedly will increase HP by %10-%15 by using a high current electric fan that kicks in during WOT and pressurizes the intake a little. Sounds corny, I know, but it just might work. The poor-man's supercharger I Guess. http://www.electricsupercharger.com/I've considered it for my '98 LOB (if I ever get it fixed)

-Nassor