Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale will not move in 2WD but goes in 4WD

Hello all -

The '91 Loyale is having a rough week. Flooded her up to the seats Monday but that's not the problem I have come for guidance about. Today driving down the road it felt like a gust of wind hit us. Then another pull that felt like flat tire. Got out - no flat. Put her back in gear, nothing. Can't be clutch cause I can go in and out of gears. When I hit push button 4WD it goes by the back wheels but huge racket from front.

So I call for some help and get towed home by pick-up. Big big racket, banging, knocking, I start honking horn to stop, doesn't hear me, drivers side tire flies off (with brake rotor), keep it on the road for a bit, then put her in the ditch. Get home finally with her tonight, put front up on jack stands. Wondering if it was a loose axle nut so figure now if I put it in gear (wheels off the ground), they should turn. Nothing. There has been no sound from CV's at all lately. Very familiar with that noise. Changed out many.(Not all on this Suby). What is wrong with her please help!

ok,so why did the tire fly off,at what point did it disconnect,more info please.

About 2 miles down road being towed. We were coming down hill we'd just climbed and big racket that sounded like bearing or wheel loose on axle, saw bolt or something fly then tire. We were going about 30mph. Tire still attached to remainder of rotor with all lugs. Also forgot to mention that when I manually spin remaining tire (car in gear engine off) the other axle turns also.