Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 3.0r no fwd fuse necessary

trying to wade through a new 2006 Outback 3.0 r wagon owners manual. If i read it correctly the 3.0 models are exempt from putting in a fwd fuse when a spare is installed. Also it say nothing about where the spare should be if one of the fronts is flat. Seems like the 04 model said to put the spare on the back and put a regular tire on the front plus put in the fwd fuse before continuing.

anybody know how or why the 06 is different? Or do i need to read it a fifth time to reassure myself it is true.

trying to wade through a new 2006 Outback 3.0 r wagon owners manual. If i read it correctly the 3.0 models are exempt from putting in a fwd fuse when a spare is installed. Also it say nothing about where the spare should be if one of the fronts is flat. Seems like the 04 model said to put the spare on the back and put a regular tire on the front plus put in the fwd fuse before continuing.

anybody know how or why the 06 is different? Or do i need to read it a fifth time to reassure myself it is true.

About the spare tire, a lot of people were asking the same thing when the STi came out. Because the brakes are so big, the spare tire does not fit around them. They would have had to make the spare tire even bigger in diameter to make it fit, and that would have been hard to fit it the available space. So instead, if a front tire goes flat you have to swap a rear tire onto the front and put the spare on the rear. It's a pain in the but, but I guess that's what we get for wanting bigger cars with super brakes.

Keith

from what I understand..... on the new cars (05 and up) the awd system can sense if there is a major difference in wheel speed and if it doesn't like it it will automatically disengage the affected drive train to save itself. I read someting like this somewhere but I can't remember where I read that. This is only the auto trans. and AWD combo and not the MT awd combo.

that thing about the sti is pretty funny....did they include a 2nd jack or do you have to jack the back first and basically force more weight onto an already flat tire and possably damage the rim? I know the engineering of the subarus will hopefully never be as bad as GM but I still find myself doing this from time to time.... :banghead:

thanks for the info about the new system on the 05 and 06 models. Having a flat is bad enough ( though a very seldom occurence) but then having to put tires in a particular spot and install a fuse just adds more frustration to a "bad day".

that thing about the sti is pretty funny....did they include a 2nd jack or do you have to jack the back first and basically force more weight onto an already flat tire and possably damage the rim? I know the engineering of the subarus will hopefully never be as bad as GM but I still find myself doing this from time to time.... :banghead:

You don't need a second jack. You can jack on the front jack location and pick up the entire side of the car. That's the beauty of any foreign car built since at least 1990. Besides, if a modern wheel can't take a static extra 500lbs if you were to only jack up one corner, it would never take hitting a pot hole at 30mph.