Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lawson, thank you!, it's been pouring out so I couldn't even open the hood, nor could I find my service manual. This is what makes this forum so great!

I just bought some to give a try.

No problem man.

Looked the same on my '97 EJ22 with 4EAT? I used teh small vac hose in the middle of the TB and the seafoam sucked right in just fater idle!

Worked good but I recomend the FULL dose or the effect is short lived. My CEL also came on but I had Autozone shut it off for FREE!

Sweet Jesus man! I hope you are just kidding. What code are they shutting off? If it's a PO130 (o2 Sensor), you may be over-doing it.

I tried Seafoam yesterday by flipping up the PCV hose and pouring it in. It worked fine for about 1/4 can, then seemed to stop taking it in.

No matter, I poured the rest in the fuel tank. The stumbling I had at light throttle when warm is much reduced, so I'm pleased.

I was thinking of disconnecting the airbox and putting it directly into the throttle body from there?

I was thinking of disconnecting the airbox and putting it directly into the throttle body from there?

Please do not act on those thoughts. . .

There are three problems with that plan:

1) with the airbox disconnected, the car will not run, or will run very poorly, as you are effectively disconnecting the MAP/MAF by doing so, and the ECU looses a lot of it's real-time data (used to adjust mixture)

2) There is a danger of fire due to spillage.

3) I stand with Josh (Legacy777) on this one. Do not use solvents in the venturi area (that is what the airbox feeds into) of the Throttle Body. there are long wearing sealants in there, that may be washed away, causing more problems down the road.

there was also a comment about using a full can of Seafoam and a possability of it causing the O2 sensor to go out. I do not see this happening, unless the O2 was already on the way out from age and the crap thrown at it before the Seafoam was used. In my '92 I used a full can through the small vac hoses on the TB. No problems with the O2, Milage went up, and the car was (and continues to be) a lot "peppier". This was a second application, as the first was half a can, and I was not sure how long the application lasted. The car choked out at the halfway mark and I threw the rest in the fuel. A few months later, I tried again to be sure I kept the good running that I had gained. Since the car did not choke out at all, I have to assume that the first application worked very well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Here's from Seafoam website about lenght of time to leave in oil before changing based on pre or post addition:

1. As a pre service cleaner for old oil residue, sticky rings or valve train noise, pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 100 miles, and then do your oil change service – Lube, Oil & Filter (LOF). This begins the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbocharged & Supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, and leave those residues that NEED CLEANING.

2. As an after service additive into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (based on mileage since last oil change), put the same amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.

You did realize this thread is 4 years old right?

But since we're on this topic.

I use about a two foot section of 3/16" i.d. vacuum hose connected to the evap purge line nipple right on top of the intake manifold right by the throttle body. It's the easiest one to get to, and if you come prepared with your own extra length of hose you can put the can on top of the radiator and dip the hose into the can just enough to slurp up the seafoam, while you balance the throttle speed with your free hand so the engine doesn't stall. Do a half can, and kill it, then watch the smoke show. Just be sure to face the front of the car upwind from the exhaust. :grin: