Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy

OK, Here is the deal.

Starting in 1990 the Justy was available with 2 possible engines..A carbureted 1.2L engine in the Front Wheel Drive Justy DL (Base model) or a Fuel Injected 1.2L engine in the Front Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive Justy GL (Upscale model). The DL had unequal length axle shafts and the GL had equal length. The transmission type (5 speed or ECVT) can be bolted to either engine by changing the flywheel and mounting bolts NO PROBLEM!

The above info is the same for the 1991 and 92 model year.

In 1993 and 94 all Justy models FWD/4WD had the Fuel Injected engine and equal length axle shafts.

To answer your question..As long as both the donor and receipient vehicle share the same induction system (FI or Carb) You can swap them with no trouble.

For instance....3 months ago I put an engine from a 93 Justy FWD with a 5 speed trans into a 90 Justy 4WD with an ECVT. Both vehicles had Fuel Injected engines and bolted up perfectly. I chose to use the intake,injector, and plenum assembly from the 90 because in 93 they changed the connector shape of the fuel injector harness. If you chose to use a FI engine from a 90-92 model this is not a problem.

Hope this helps...If you are really into Justys you should check out the Justy proboards website. Lots of good info on there!!

Also, If you need any parts PM me...I have about 10 of these cars in the 88-93 year model range.

Good Luck!!

Jim

Hello, Does anyone know if a 1990 Justy and 1991 Justy are the same as far as egine parts, alternator, engine, tranny ect, does it make a difference if one is 4x4 and one is not other then the transmission difference thanks in advance

OK, Here is the deal.

Starting in 1990 the Justy was available with 2 possible engines..A carbureted 1.2L engine in the Front Wheel Drive Justy DL (Base model) or a Fuel Injected 1.2L engine in the Front Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive Justy GL (Upscale model). The DL had unequal length axle shafts and the GL had equal length. The transmission type (5 speed or ECVT) can be bolted to either engine by changing the flywheel and mounting bolts NO PROBLEM!

Jim, you had to give away all the vaulable Justy secrets! I must admit feeling a bit evil, because I have had thoughts of swaping out the Justy 5 speed for a Mazda 323GTX gearbox.

But that will be another thread for another time on the Justy Forum...

Matthew

AHHH...Matthew, I didn't give away all the Justy secrets..Just a few. Don't feel too evil about swapping the Justy box for the Mazda unit, It's is a good strong box with decent gearing. The Ford Festiva boys like to swap in the 323GTX engine and trans package for a little extra PUNCH!! Maybe, the whole setup would fit between the Justy frame rails..HMMMMM..Something to think about!!

Good Luck!

Jim

OK, Here is the deal.

Jim, you had to give away all the vaulable Justy secrets! I must admit feeling a bit evil, because I have had thoughts of swaping out the Justy 5 speed for a Mazda 323GTX gearbox.

But that will be another thread for another time on the Justy Forum...

Matthew

• 1 month later...

Well i took the 90 justy into the mechanic to have another one put in. I thought maybe a guy that deals only in fixing and putting in japanese engines could find one. He did but it was sold before he cold rip out the motor. Schucks has one for $1850 and a five year warranty but they will not tell me what things come with it and it would take a month to get after paying for it. The one he found was a used motor and would cost 700. Atk i waited for them to get back after three months i called back and they said an order was never taken from me. Some gentleman posted a whole bunch of sites on here i called every one except two that where no longer in business. Just trying to track down any help. It is a 90 justy 1.2 litre 12er i believe Gl

thanks a bunch,

bobby

deming,washington