Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How fast??

jmr052

I am after some speed/rpm numbers from an ea82 d/r.

At 3000 rpm how fast are you going in 4 Hi:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

At 3000 rpm how fast are you going in 4 Lo:

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

Then I also need to know if you have a 3.7 or a 3.9 diff.

Thanks,

Jay

Well, I don't have any answers for you since mine isn't running at the moment, but I do have a question. Are you looking for the Turbo or the non-turbo version? I'm pretty sure that in the RX models they used a different ratio for the diffs so you would get different speeds from a non RX d/r.

Keith

But I cant recall ever needing to use any gear past 2nd when in 4LO, and I definately dont remember using 3000 RPM in any Lo range gear. I thought that if you could keep the engine above 2000 then you should be using hi range. Isn't that the point?

The point?? Well, that will have to be answered later!

Yes the RX D/R tranny has a different reduction ration ~1.2 and uses the 3.7 diff. I would really like to know if any of the trannies used the ~1.6 reduction w/ the 3.7 and the resulting speeds. I would also like to know the speeds for the 1.6 w/ 3.9 combination. If you don't want to "windup" the subie that far in low, I could use say a 2k rpm # instead but use the same # for Hi.

Come on now, 10 minutes and it's done.

Thanks,

Jay

Originally posted by ShawnW

But I cant recall ever needing to use any gear past 2nd when in 4LO, and I definately dont remember using 3000 RPM in any Lo range gear. I thought that if you could keep the engine above 2000 then you should be using hi range. Isn't that the point?

It's just a reduction gear and I don't think it's a problem running to red line in low. I use mine all the time in the RX. I ran an entire rally cross using low range with 2nd and 3rd gears. It put the car in the right RPM range for max power coming out of turns. I sometime use it to pass on a back road instead of say downshifting all the way to third. Atleast in the RX it comes in handy for things other than creaping.

Keith

• 2 years later...

I just swapped a dual range 3.90:1 in my '80 wagon with an EA71 from the origional(sp?) single range 4.11:1. I still haven't replaced my broken speedo cable for a few years, so I don't know how fast I'm going in whichever gear or range. But low range hauls a$$ uphill in third.