Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it possible to change a clutch without removing the tranny or engine?

markjs

some peopl just take out the bell house bolts axels and disconnect the drive line and cross member slide the trans back with it on a floor jack gives you limited space to work plus you almost have to take oss the same amount of parts

I suggjest that you just take trans out pm me your phone number and I can give my way

i love pullin subaru motors. i hate rolling around on the ground.

i pulled an ea82 last nite in 45 minutes. takes about 20 minutes to knock off the pp install new parts, shove her back in.

pull the radiator and slide the motor forward about 8 inches.

tranny way works too, and you can leave the axles connected.

There was a post a couple of days ago where someone described doing just what you are talking about. As I recall this guy didn't even remove the axles. I don't know if I would try that or not, but I have done clutches by removing the engine and by dropping the tranny. For me, it depends on whether or not there is anything you want to do with the engine while it's out. Also, I would be more inclined to pull the engine if the vehicle did not have extras like power steering and air conditioning. If it did, I'd be more inclined to drop the tranny, especially if it was FWD.

Also depends on your facilities. If I had a carport or garage and a hoist, that would encourage me to pull the engine. If all I had was a flat spot and a floor jack, that would encourage me to drop the tranny.

You might try getting your hands on a transmission jack. It will make things a whole lot easier. Yes, you will still have to take the driveshaft apart and maybe even take the cv axles loose, but it will be worth it. I changed the clutch in my GL-10 Wagon out with some help from a friend and two floor jacks +4 jack stands. It was a royal pain in the rear(mainly because it was the first Subaru that I had ever changed the clutch on), but it got the job done. The whole time I was changing the clutch, I was kicking myself for not buying a transmission jack, considering it only cost $49.99 at Harbor Freight Tools. But, you live and you learn.

On the older soobs (EA81 in my case), I remove the radiator (very quick), and just pull the engine forward. Loosen the pressure plate bolts prior through the starter hole, and then it's cake. Drop the exhaust, unbolt the engine mount (two nuts), and jack the engine up. Support the tranny on a jack stand, and pull the engine forward with the room left over from pulling the radiator. You'll have enough room to get everything in there. Leave the PP bolts loose enough that you can move the plate around by hand, and remate the engine/tranny. Tighten the bolts through the hole once it's together. Don't even need an alignment tool. I've replaced the clutch and flywheel in my Brat this way, and pulled many from the JY this way as well when I need a flywheel or whatever. So the answer is yes, it can be done, and it's the smart way to go if you can get away with it. Sometimes pulling the engine is good too. Easy way to do it is with a short peice of chain from you local hardware store, and wrap it over a 7 or 8 foot length of 4x4 or 4x6 structural lumber. You and a friend can lift the engine out with this setup.