Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 Impreza L Coupe, (2.2L, n/a) and I've noticed there's not a lot of stuff that's sold that says it will specifically fit my car. I'd like to think that some things are interchangeable with mods for other cars (I'd hate to think the L and the 2.5RS are completely different that nothing would be interchangeablel between them). Right now I'm looking at two things specifically: the snorkus delete elbow (which says for 02-04 wrx), and a rear sway bar somewhere. The elbow I can understand if it didn't work, being the wrx is slightly </sarcasm> different, but it would be cool if it did. The rear sway bar would be nice to have to kill the understeer a little and I'd hope somewhere out there there would be one that'd fit.

Also another quick question on the elbow, I accidently put the air box back together wrong last time when I was changing the filter (so there was a little crack between the top and bottom of the housing) and the car sounded like it roared a little bit more, any idea how much the elbow (or just making one) would compare to that?

Thanks

P.S.: if anyone remembers my other post about my car, we got it fixed but I had to go back to college so there wasn't a lot of time to say anything about it, but whoever guessed MAF sensor got it right..

I've heard taking out the snorkus can be more trouble than it's worth, but a swaybar for any 93-01 Impreza, probably some Legacies, and maybe some later Imprezas will fit. Whiteline makes stuff that will fit your car that can be bought online at PDM racing or kastle's korner, among other places.

My 93 Legacy has struts and springs from an 04 STi, 99 Impreza rear lateral links, WRX swaybar mounts, a 94 turbo Legacy rear swaybar, and polyurethane steering rack bushings made for a WRX. Also WRX wheels and tires and I have brakes in my room. I haven't really bothered with any engine mods though. If I want to go faster and keep this car I'll put in a WRX driveline.

anything from a 93-01 model impreza will fit. if your looking for engine mods, good luck. there really arent any. you can use some stuff from the 2.5rs. things like cat back exhaust will work weather it be for the 2.5 or not. like renyo said, whiteline makes some good suspension stuff. you can also use lowering springs for a 2.5rs, and just about anything suspension related....

Lighter wheels and (if manual tranny) lighter flywheel(not less tha 13-15 lbs or so) will free up a few ponies. If it's an auto, MAYBE (very controverisal) a few ponies can be freed up with lightened(no under-driven) crank and accesorry pulleys. If your manual calls for premium gas - stay with it, if you switch back and forth, likely the ECU will not re-advance the timing without being reset.

As said, personally speking with Dale at http://www.boxer4racing.com will get you a sway bar that will fit. Again, lighter wheels and better tires and maybe dialing in some more front camber will improve handling too. Jamie (http://www.subiegal.com) who works at http://www.subarugenuineparts.com likes the bar from IPD . I dunno if they offer one for your car though. Cusco, Eibach others offer them too.

It's unlikely you could get more than 10-15% more hp with bolt ons for your engine. Probably about the same as running with only a third of a tank of gas and removing the passenger seat!

Carl

Thanks for all the replies..

As for the snorkus, I've been reading and it doesn't seem like it's that big of a hassle... I would just try removing the entire thing and sealing up the hole in the engine compartment, but I drive through lots of water sometimes, and I'd be worried about water getting into the engine if it was just sucking in air from the fender..

Seems like there's a bunch of stuff that is interchangeable, anyone know a way to tell if something will actually work in my car (that's from another car) before I buy it? Because I'd perfer not to buy it, realize it isn't compatable, and be stuck with it..

Yeah, that's another thing, it's a slushbox, so there's also so much I can do.. went over to www.boxer4racing.com, I think I'm going to be spending a little bit of time there. ;) As far as I know, it just says stay above 87 octane... Not looking for insane amounts of horsepower as I know the car isn't even gonna be that powerful (without quite a complicated and expensive things being done to it).

Also, looking for anything that'll make the boxer sound..umm.. more boxery? Anyways, yeah, thats why I was kinda interesting in the intake delete elbow thingy.

Thanks again..

Take a look at the Stromung dual tip muffler (axelback) they have at boxer4racing . I tried to do as much reading/research as humanly possible and have one of those on order. My goal was a sportier sound, not high pitched whiney, not so loud as to get the attention of the squeezers (young folks call them the po-po I believe) or drone tto much on the highway. My WRX wagon has not arrived yet but that is the muffler going on it. There are FAQs over at http://www.nasioc.com by a guy called Unabomber that will help with exhaust questions. That forum also has a lot of modders and tuners and is a good resource - just a little more, um, wild than this forum - not less helpful but has more knuckleheads/trolls. Try searching around over there for some ideas about beefing up your car. here are some other sites you might like;

http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/

http://subydude.com/osc/index.php?cPath=143

http://www.subarureview.com/

Carl

There are some basic mods you can do to the 2.2L that will free up some decent HP.

Exhuast, I have a dual tip open end performance muffler from Borla with a nice, but not obnoxious throaty sound that is not overpowering on the highway.

Switch to uridium plugs, performance wires (magnacor,etc) and a MSD DIS 2 ignition and optima battery.

Venom 500cc fuel injectors.

Cold air intake (I have my filter in the passenger side wheel well near the stock opening that used to go to the airbox.

Replace clunky stock fuel filter with smaller (but more effecient) universal filter.

Lighter weight pulleys, there are numerous companies that make pulleys for the 2.2L.

If you have the knowledge or money, get the heads port and polished. I have done all of this except the port and polish and my subby is running like a champ and has suprized some unsuspecting pimple faced rice runners as well as a few "musclecars".

When I want a little more boost I add 5 tablespoons of acetone to the gas, noticable difference, no matter what the skeptics say.

15.01 in the 1/4 mile, no turbo or NOS.