Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom Gauge Question

There are holes already in the firewall. They are about an inch in diameter and should be covered with a rubber plug. I ran the line through the hole on the passenger side and along the frame rail up to the front of oil pump. I ended tapping the idiot light hole out to 1/8 NPT to fit the adapter and compression fitting for the line. It is some kind of metric thread and even tho the adapter starts it will not fit and will eventually leak. Good luck!

There are holes already in the firewall. They are about an inch in diameter and should be covered with a rubber plug. I ran the line through the hole on the passenger side and along the frame rail up to the front of oil pump. I ended tapping the idiot light hole out to 1/8 NPT to fit the adapter and compression fitting for the line. It is some kind of metric thread and even tho the adapter starts it will not fit and will eventually leak. Good luck!

Sounds better than my solution. On my old '85 GL I had a couple extension cords (bypassing other failed wiring) and the probe for a mechanical temperature guage going out about where the clutch cable did. I think the rubber boot was gone so it was pretty large hole to stuff things through.

I ended tapping the idiot light hole out to 1/8 NPT to fit the adapter and compression fitting for the line.!

is this the same port thats used by the oem oil pressure gauge? my gl-10 has a digidash, so no factory oil pres. gauge :( and i really should install one...

is this the same port thats used by the oem oil pressure gauge? my gl-10 has a digidash, so no factory oil pres. gauge :( and i really should install one...

attachment.php?attachmentid=611

Stock oil pressure sender is the big round thing cut off at the bottom of the pic. Where I tapped in is right above it (shiny brass fitting) and I suspect that this hole is already being used by your digidash for an idiot light sender. You might could put a brass tee in there and run both the idiot light and a guage, although I don't know where you find a tee with both metric and pipe threads. You could try to find some adapters to fit in the larger hole where the oem oil press. sender usually resides but again its probably metric and I don't know about the availability of adapters. I would just ditch the idot light for a proper guage and grease up a tap. Good luck!

Ive ran my oil pressure gauges through the plug in the firewall as well. Just cut a slit through the plug and it acts as a good gromet. The main problem I had was the type of tubing that came with the kit. It didnt take long to get fragile and break, and that makes for a nasty mess if it happens in the cab somewhere.

-Brian