Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this something that really should be done? My 2.2l has this in the schdual at 105,000 miles which is the same as the milage for the timing belt. Just wondering if i should have it done then or if i should just wait untill the valve covers start to leak.

WOW, that sound like my Alfa that I used to run. They had buttons that sat on the top of the valve stems, there was a cup (cam follower) that sat on top of the entire valve and spring. We first measured the clearance gap, then removed the cam, measured the thickness of the buttons, by knowing those two, we could figure out the size of button needed to bring the clearance gap back into spec. I would imagine doing that same thing on these engines.

Is this something that really should be done? My 2.2l has this in the schdual at 105,000 miles which is the same as the milage for the timing belt. Just wondering if i should have it done then or if i should just wait untill the valve covers start to leak.

My 2.5 200 legacy has it also at 105k, but when I asked the dealer they said they didn't think it was worth doing.

Only '97-'99 DOHC 2.5L engines use shims for valve adjustment.

The '97 on 2.2L and 2.5L SOHC engines have screw type adjusters on the rocker arms. Adjusting valves on these engines is much easier.

It is worth doing. Valves tighten up after time, espesially exhaust valves. Tight exhaust valves=burnt valves if adjustment is not done. Burnt valves=more $$$ than the valve adjustment would have cost.

Alot of Dealers don't sell valve adjustments because it is too much like work, and in the case of our local dealer, they couldn't figure out how to use the special tool.:lol:

If you're doing the TB, you're probably also going to do the cam seals. The cams come off easily at that point, so doing a valve adjust isn't all that much work and you won't need the special spring compressor. But you would need dial calipers or a micrometer to measure the shims. The previous owner of my '97 didn't have hers adjusted and burnt the hell out of an exhaust valve. Big gaps are much less of a worry than tight ones. Over time, the valves seat deeper in the seats, which tightens up the clearance. If you don't adjust the valves, eventually they don't seat at all and then things get very hot and go boom.

Im new to Subies and I am looking at a cheap '96 Legacy with the 2.2 L (EJ22?). The car is at 138K and it's used so it's maintenance history is unknown, though the sales guy claims it was well taken care of. :rolleyes:

I was wondering does this car need a valve adjustment at this point or is there any way to tell by the engine sound? I dont hear any major ticking but the valve covers are oily. The engine sounds and revs smoothly except that it rocks a bit from soft motor mounts.

What is the recommended service interval for the valve adjustment on the 97-99s?

Owner's manual of our '98 Outback and our '99 Legacy GT call for "inspect valve clearance" at 105K for 49-state vehicles. I'm contemplating how to deal with this on our cars now. I've heard about this "special tool" and I can't picture how anyone can do that kind of work in the confines of the engine compartment. I replaced the outer and inner rocker cover gaskets and bolt washers recently on these 2 cars and that alone was challanging enough (in terms of lack of space to work in...) I'm assuming that the valve adjustment procedure is done from under the vehicle if one tries it with the engine still in the car.........