Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all - I am generally in the older forum, but I was looking at a 97 legacy for my girlfriend and we heard an odd whistling under hard accelleration (at least that was where I could reproduce it) initally when I first started it up I thought that there might be an exhaust leak from what I heard, but the whistling almost sounds like it is a turbo sucking up air, different from the exhaust leak I heard initially.

Is this a common thing? - the guy said that the engine was standard which I don't think includes a turbo - I figure he would have mentioned that if there was one.

This car is kind of high milage, about 145000, but it is a subaru, and the mileage has been highway at night - the guy said that he worked graveyard in Portland (we were in Vancouver). Any ideas as to what this might be that I am hearing?

Thanks

Hi all - I am generally in the older forum, but I was looking at a 97 legacy for my girlfriend and we heard an odd whistling under hard accelleration (at least that was where I could reproduce it) initally when I first started it up I thought that there might be an exhaust leak from what I heard, but the whistling almost sounds like it is a turbo sucking up air, different from the exhaust leak I heard initially.

Is this a common thing? - the guy said that the engine was standard which I don't think includes a turbo - I figure he would have mentioned that if there was one.

This car is kind of high milage, about 145000, but it is a subaru, and the mileage has been highway at night - the guy said that he worked graveyard in Portland (we were in Vancouver). Any ideas as to what this might be that I am hearing?

Thanks

I think its easy to misalign the lower part of the airbox cover whne replacing the intake filter. maybe check for that. Some have mentioned a clogged cat convert can whistle - I'd expect that to be loudest at the tailpipe. I suppose a vacuum leak could whistle.

Carl

Of course I can afford to accelerate hard - I havn't bought the car yet.

dickensheets - you say you have the same thing? Has it caused anything noticable performance wise?

1 lucky texan - so it doesn't sound like it should really worry me much, thanks for the info

He wants 5700 for this car? does that sound reasonable or should I put some effort into talking him down a bit?

thanks

Intersting..... My 96 Whistles only under heavy acceleration AND the check engine light is on for "ineffecient catalyst" or bad cat! WOW..... Maybe I should get around to replacing the cats and see if it goes away. :drunk: I've never been able to figure out what it is that makes the noise, but I figured it was exhaust related.

Keith