Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just I word to the ones that don't no much about them.

I recently got a grinding noise in the front brakes and today when i got them off, the left inside pad was gone. the outer was only about half used up. The last time I did the brakes was the first time i had done any and did not make sure the slide the bolt goes through actually moved. MAKE sure it moves or you will have to do like I just did and replace them after 30000 miles. They make a boot kit wich the local part store listed but did not have in stock. I put them back together and will get the kit as soon as I can.

the left inner pad was worn out, no seperation. Yes I pulled, well actually had to beat the bushing out. it was that rusted up. pulled the old dry rotted boots off, put the high temp never seize to them and put them back together. I ordered a caliper rebuild kit today from suby. 35 bucks, but it was the only way i could get the 3 boots that each side needs. should be here in a few days. then i will have to pull the calipers out again.

I priced out a loaded caliper and it was 120 +/-. I paid 20 bucks for pads and 35 bucks for the rebuild kit. 55 bucks and all i really need are the three boots for the slides. ruffly 60 bucks saved and it wont take me long to get it done. it will be harder to get the car out of the road long enough to do it.