Ultimate Subaru Message Board

could i wire and i pod to work in my car?

yes there is a way, but its not super easy. you will need the following parts:

Computer speaker set, simple one with phono jack and wall plug(converts to 12v) power supply.

One amp.

You only need the speaker box that has the connector for the wall plug. Open it up to get the circuit board. Determine your left and right speaker wires and solder on wires if the ones present arent long enough. Then remove the plug for the power supply and solder on wires in its place, + - of course.

Hook the speaker wires into your amp, and connect the power wires to the cars switched power supply in your preferred method. Turn on the car and test the speaker control at low volumes till you find the level you like.

Its very easy to do. Took me about 1/2 hour total.

Alex

with an aftermarket stereo couldnt you use the rca preouts on the rear of the stereo?

also, if you have a tape player, couldnt you wire in the signal to the wires connecting the factory stereo, to the factory tape dec?

The RCA outputs on an aftermarket deck are just that... outputs. RCA INPUTS can be used (not all decks have this, but most modern ones do), you just need a stereo headphone to mini RCA cable, one end goes into the inputs, the other end goes into the iPod.

This is actually how I have the stereo in my Kia hooked up. Much better quality than the FM modulator.

If you want a simple Maori setup I would just use an amp and a rca to headphone jack cable. Just hook the headphone jack into the ipod, and rca's into the amp, and then hook the amp to the speakers. Very simple, yet effective.

If you have a good headunit though, it is not to hard to tap into that, most good stereo wire harnesses have spare input wires, just play round finding which one it is and plug and play.