Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PCV stink/High idle/Blowby probs.

So I have played around with this problem for quite a while.

The latest is that my car really stinks at idle. When the revs are up the pcv valve is taking in lots of the pcv gas but at idle the pcv valve is not open and any blow by is supposed to go into the intake boot.

Here is my problem..... there is very little suction on the hose leading to the intake boot at idle. so little that there is no pcv gas being sucked into the TB. This results in some serious pcv gas stink at idle. This stink gets sucked into the cabin via the heater fan! BRUTAL!

My latest solution has been to feed a little of the pcv gas at idle into the aux air valve. This seems to have helped the stink but....

When the car is cold and I take off the oil filler cap, the car dies. :-\

when the car is first started it runs at about 1000 rpm instead of going to high idle. After I drive it for a bit the thing idles at 2k-2500. Even after it's up to temp.

This problem is driving me mental. I have tried a combo of air valves, thermosensors and routing of the pcv gas. Winter is coming and I want to have all of these problems fixed. I like having a high idle that works properly and a heater fan that doesn't choke me out.

Still getting awsome mileage though!

HELP ME JEEBUS!!!! or anyone else that knows all

Cheers

Yes!

Brand new Subaru PCV valve

Compression numbers 168-178 all the way around.

250k km on the motor. It just rolled 250k :)

It uses a little oil. But, not all the time. Sometimes its uses very very little. Sometimes a quart per tank of gas ??????

I'm going to set up a leak-down gauge apparatus and try that out.

If I get a lot of air into the crankcase, I'll r+r the engine with my spare and tear down the 250k motor. I just wanted to avoid this as I have not split the block on an EA-82 before.

Does anyone have any ideas about the high idle? Winter is almost here and I'd like to have that figured out.

Is there a test I can do to determine if the aav is getting the correct signal from the computer?

Maybe the computer is getting the wrong signal from the thermosensor?.....

As I mentioned, I have tries three aav's and three thermosensors. I have doubts that all of these combos have been bad. But I guess it is possible!

Thanks for all you help gang!!!!

***** can't wait till that snow flies!!!********

I think with your fiddeling around you've introduced a vacume leak somewhere.

Have you converted your PCV system to the Loyale style PCV system? Easy way to tell is if you have all 5/8th hose on your PCV system or if the drivers side has two smaller hoses and the rest of the PCV system has 5/8th hose.

I've gone to 5/8" ID Hose throughout.

Both tappet cover vents 5/8" ID

PCV valve feed hose 5/8" ID hose

I will take another picture and post it. But, here is the old setup...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2685

I have gone to the bigger hose throughout.

The condensator/peanut butter jar hads been omitted. (building a better faster, stronger one)

some of the pcv gas is fed into the aav