Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gear Shift button stuck on 98 Legacy

I just bought my first Subaru, a 1998 Legacy L. I read through the owners manual to get to know it. The first little glitch I found is the Gear Shift Button sticks when I am trying to get it out of Park. :mad: GRRRRRR!!!!! :mad: I did find in the manual what to do in this situation so it cannot be any thing new that the Manufacturers doesn't know about.

If there a way to by pass this??? I would rather just unhook it than have to take it in and get it fixed...especially if it going to be an on going problem.

Any ideas???

Thanks

northmtnhoney

Actually this is the brake interlock. The override you speak about is incase you have a dead battery and need to get the car in neutral. This is a godsend in an emergency, thats why its there, not because its a known defect. All new cars from 96? have this, so you need to get it fixed. Its not so easy as just get past.

Now here is my first question, what do you mean by the button sticks?

With the car in the on position (not running) put your foot on the brake pedal. You should here a relay click. Same thing if you try to press the gear selector button without pressing the brake pedal. Press the brake pedal and the button and the car should come out of park.

nipper

There was a Subaru recall on all the '98 auto linkages. Was yours completed?

Also, don't believe the owner's manual. There is no way to get the armrest plate over the shift knob unless you remove the knob from the linkage, or bust the plastic plate. I'm guessing your recall work wasn't completed.

Juan