Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilt tranny vs. junkyard

I have a '91 Legacy 185,000 miles has a used engine do you guys think i ought to have my tranny rebuilt or throw a used one in from a yard, i got a price of bout 1300 to rebuild a junk tranny is bout 350 or so + install

Thanx for the info in advance

I presume we're talking about an auto-tranny here.

If you can find a good, low-mileage used transmission, that would definately save you money, especially if you're installing it yourself.

Your tranny let go at 180kmi. If you buy one with 120kmi, chances are, it's about 2/3 of the way to behaving like your tranny does now. It's also a possibility that a used tranny that you buy might shift roughly from day one.

I'd say a rebuilt tranny would probably be overkill in a Legacy with 180kmi on it.

$/50,

Brian

Considering that you have a '91 with 185k on it, it might be better to just retire it and pick something else up for your 1650. You can get a halfway decent beater until you get the cash to buy a real car. I'd say it's not worth it unless you have a real attachment to the Legacy.

I would vote for a used tranny, unless you are really attached to the car. Also the condition of the car itself (rust) would truly weigh in heavily on this.

Get under the car and closely examine it for rust. 350 would save you the grief of buying a new car, but keep in mind that the car will not run for ever. without another mechanical intervention.

nipper