Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking to ditch the wifes audi and get a legacy wagon but I'd like to get some inputs

What year did the legacy come with a 2.5l turbo, what is the engine designator?

Are the H6 engine parts expensive to purchase. (I've done the outrageous parts thing)

And as far as reliability, which of the two engines hold up better. (I am extermely anal over the whole maintenance thing, I'm concerned about the long block holding up not the peripherials.

I am looking to ditch the wifes audi and get a legacy wagon but I'd like to get some inputs

What year did the legacy come with a 2.5l turbo, what is the engine designator?

Are the H6 engine parts expensive to purchase. (I've done the outrageous parts thing)

And as far as reliability, which of the two engines hold up better. (I am extermely anal over the whole maintenance thing, I'm concerned about the long block holding up not the peripherials.

After the audi parts everything else will be cheap.

The 6 vs turbo they have the same HP numbers, but the turbo has more torque. Personally i would take the turbo over the flat 6, as the flat 6 doesnt have that much history yet, and it alos requres premium. The turbo is lighter engine so the car will be slightly more nimble. If you were planning on towing i would recomend the 6, and only then.

hehe i wish i had a turno im my OBW, i love the strong 2.5, but you know, no such thing as too much power :brow:

nipper

uh the ej22 was indestructable when i owned one. if i could i would swap an ej22T in the place of my ea18 and never wory about another engine problem again.

neal

ps any legacy 96-99 would give you between 2 or 3 options for the engine. the: 22, 25, and 30. in my opinion the flat four 22 has pleanty of power, with a new ecu chip, intake, 3 inch headers and cat back you'll be screaming off the line.

and the H6 it would be a rough choice for me. I've heard the turbo has a closed block which fixes the head gasket problem, but it is still a fairly new engine. The one thihg I have heard about them is that they get poor fuel mileage and for anybody that is not blind and deaf that may become a problem. There is also the question of one more system to go wrong, the reason turbos once had the nickname "trouble chargers".

The H6 is also pretty new and so far I have only heard of two people having a problem. the few folks I know have had no H6 problems, love them but don't like paying for premium fuel.

If you are looked between these two engines drive them both. If you are looking for more snap I bet the turbo wins. My guess is the H6 is going to last like the 2.2 that gave Subaru the good rep.

Must be an auto tranny in that Audi 100 pos. If it were a 200 I might make you a deal! I'm looking at a '95 S6 avant, last year of the mighty 5-cyl 20V turbo and durable drive train & suspension. A lotta $ though.

The last year of the Subaru 2.2l was '99, and only in the Legacy, not Outback or Legacy GT. I'm keeping my eye out for one of those too, my quattro is going to give me trouble some day, everyone on this board says so! I've heard the 2.2 came in some early, manual tranny Outbacks. A low-mileage example would be a very good find.

Must be an auto tranny in that Audi 100 pos. If it were a 200 I might make you a deal! I'm looking at a '95 S6 avant, last year of the mighty 5-cyl 20V turbo and durable drive train & suspension. A lotta $ though.

The last year of the Subaru 2.2l was '99, and only in the Legacy, not Outback or Legacy GT. I'm keeping my eye out for one of those too, my quattro is going to give me trouble some day, everyone on this board says so! I've heard the 2.2 came in some early, manual tranny Outbacks. A low-mileage example would be a very good find.

Yes, you're right about the EJ22 coming in the 1996 Outback. I would shy away from the EJ22 after 96 though, as it became an interference engine in 1997.

I'd like the power of the H6 or the Turbo motor. This car will be run 90% freeway. and I'm not worried about having to fix turbo systems or work on engine peripherials. I'd like to know if the go-lump in 100k mile car I'm going to be able to afford will hold together for 200k +.

if an H6 will go for 200k (with all of the regular maintenance)

I own european cars and have for the last 12 years so i don't do the 5000 mile oil changes and the 120,000 mile timing belt thing.

My scheduled maintenance goes, 3k oil change with synthetic. 12k tranny and diff fluid changes. annual brake fluid changes, bi annual coolant flushes. every third oil change gets BG Quick clean and MOA. And BG 44k in the gas every 6 mos. This schedual got me 380k out of my 85 jetta.