Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering pump?

This happened to me to and one day the hole shaft with pully flew off never to be seen again.Keep in mind i let mine go for atleast 9or10 months. I would sudjest replacing it.I don't know how much $ you have to work with but a new pump (pump only no res. or pully)i was Quoted $125 at the lowest point.Thats in WA.

For about $15 - $25 and a couple of hours of wrenching you can rebuild your PS pump. I bought a new rebuild seal kit from the dealer and a new bearing from McGuire Bearing and now its smooth and doesn't leak believe it or not! :brow:

I think the most important part to replace is the bearing which also acts a the main seal in the pump. My bearing was shot, rough and loose. Now my steering is like new.

Cool, going to try to track one down, or at least see what a pump might cost. It has has a real slow leak for as long as I have had the car. What does it take to rebuild the steering pump? Seems like it would be easy.

I just used my Haynes/ Chilton manuals and the diagram from the Subaru dealer, and replaced the seals and bearing and thats it. The Haynes had the best walkthrough for rebuilding the pump.

The belt had a little bit of squeeling this morning, but didn't squeel the rest of the day, but I found that it was slipping. Tossed in a new belt this afternoon, and the steering is a whole lot better. The belt must have just been slipping on the pump I guess.