Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I purchased the car from a used subaru speciality dealer. It had 152,000 on it.

They changed belts, plugs, and gaskets and generally went over the whole car.

So, I guess you could say it had been tuned up. But lately, it has been giving me this low idle problem. Since my 30 day warranty is well expired and that dealer is a good distance away, I would like to solve small problems myself.

I am skeptical about taking it to the local subaru dealer for a tune up because I am afraid it will be a waste of time and money. What would you say would be involved in a "tune up".

Could you please explain to me the importance of the antifreeze and additive ordeal that I have been reading alot about?

Thank you. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Two Words

Head Gaskets.

You really want to do anything that is reasonable and within your power to help protect the head gaskets. Subaru Antifreeze and additive is not a guarentee that they will not leak on you, but every little bit helps.

I found out on my 97 OBW from the previous Owner that all work was done by subaru (180K) and the headgaskets are original. and the work has beeen dont like clockwork. It seems to help.

Alos dont use tap water in the cooling system, used deminiralized water. Tap water reacts with the aluminum parts and can cause scarling inside the water jackets. This may or may not contribute to headgasket failur, but for the the ocst of a few dollars, what take the chance.

A tuneup can be done at any shop wou trust. ANtifreeze etc can be done at ant shop, just instruct them that you want the water and antifreeze that yuo bought along used.

nipper

nipper