Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm thinking about selling my Dodge Ram and getting a Baja. I'm looking for people to tell me the good and the bad about them. All entries are welcome! Oh, by the way. I'm new to the site (in case that wasn't obvious) I have been involved in the Ram forum for a while though, and it has been awesome. So the first thing I wanted to do before I buy a Subaru was talk to the people who own them.

Thank guys!!

Good: A very unique, reliable vehicle. Fun to drive too. Switchback bed and bed extender help with versitility. Seats its passengers in comfort.

Bad: The bed is small and the switchback opening is kinda small. The studs on the rear license plate mount need to be cut off and drilled out if you want to run a thick vanity frame (like my college alumni one). AND... it also only seats 4 people.

Overall, if you dont need to carry plywood and dont need 5 seats... get it. IF you need to carry stuff. Get a small trailer for it. If you need to carry more people. Get an outback or Tribeca :rolleyes:

Good: A very unique, reliable vehicle. Fun to drive too. Switchback bed and bed extender help with versitility. Seats its passengers in comfort.

Bad: The bed is small and the switchback opening is kinda small. The studs on the rear license plate mount need to be cut off and drilled out if you want to run a thick vanity frame (like my college alumni one). AND... it also only seats 4 people.

Overall, if you dont need to carry plywood and dont need 5 seats... get it. IF you need to carry stuff. Get a small trailer for it. If you need to carry more people. Get an outback or Tribeca :rolleyes:

I pretty much concur with this analysis. I think that our Baja rides and handles better than our Outbacks - I like the stiffer suspension. If you need to carry more than two people and have luggage, the station wagon is better. Since the Baja has such a short roof, the usefulness of the roof racks is limited.

I concur with Flowmastered87GL, I have a 2005 Baja Sport and it fits my lifestyle just fine, it is big enough to handle all the occasional loads (washing machines, chairs, etc..) my 97 Outback could not.

It obviusly will not handle the same cargo as the Ram Pickup but you will definately see an improvement in your gas mileage.

I traded in my 2000 Dodge Dakota on my used 2003 Subaru Baja! The only thing I miss about the Dakota is the color! It was a really sharp orange called amberfire pearl. But anyways, I have had my Baja for a little over a half a year, and I love it! I love the car like handling, I love the great gas milage, and i love the uniqueness! I have been able to haul just as much with the Baja as I would have with the Dakota. Everything from and air compressor to a load of carpet has been in it's bed. The only thing that it woulnt be able to do is haul car trailers to go and get more Subaru parts cars! But, you always seem to know someone that owns a truck thats willing to help! Kurt

I would get it the Baja is more reliable better on gas, and can haul anything you would carry 99.9% of the time. If not the Baja and you DO need seating for 5 get the Honda Ridgeline same +'s of the Baja just in a larger package.

i have to agree, except, i'm not sure about the hondo ridgeline:lol:

I have an 05, non-turbo, automatic, garnet red, 20k miles.

Good:

Handling, Winter driving, gas mileage, style, carrys my bicycles in the bed nicely (most important).

Bad:

Engine started knocking and pinging about 5k miles back, even under normal light-duty driving conditions. I guess this could happen with any modern 2.5 liter Subaru engine. Car is actually at the dealership right now, I will report back and let you know if they fixed the issue.

During shows, I have had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of the Baja to the H3 and Honda Ridgeline.

For utility and comfort, the Baja has it hands down over the H3:

Interior space is a lot in the upper front to the dash but the seats are LOW like a Corvette or Mustang. Visibilty from the inside looks to be limited.

The cargo capacity is much smaller than the Baja and the back seat will only accommodate very small people. Not worth the effort, other than for its "get-out-of-my-way" factor. (Soccer moms in mini-vans scare me way more).

Now the Ridgeline, except for it's squirrely slanty bed and inconvenient height to load and unload.

The interior is very nice and very roomy. The running boards are a great protectant from runaway car doors, shopping carts slamming into you. All-in-all it's ugly from the outside, but nice from the inside.

After comparing them, I would buy my Baja again. I love it.

• 3 months later...

Hey....well, I am also new to the site, but I can sure tell you some things about MY baja! First of all....GREAT VEHICLE!!! I would say youve gotta get the 5 speed for the most power & versatility...but thats just me. Also, if you get the trailer hitch its worth it. Ive pulled everything from campers to hay wagons, (empty):rolleyes: .... and it always got the job done. If you arent hung up on lots of interior STORAGE room....and seating for 4 is OK....then you'll love it. I have a hinged lid tub strapped in the cargo bed of mine, which works good as a "trunk", and still leaves me room for plenty in the rest of the bed - especially with the bed extender! Bikes DO fit nicely if you turn the front wheel sideways. I never went anywhere without 'em all summer! The 2.5 liter IS a little underpowered, but you can make it work if you shift it right. The reliability has been great so far (almost 80K on mine now with nothing but prev. maint. work) Have been mudding with it a few times, and while its nothing like a fullsize truck, I havent been able to get it stuck yet! In short, a fun vehicle that'll turn heads, save gas, and take you all over the place.