Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help adjust exhaust installation - 97 OBW

I replaced the exhaust pipe and muffler behind the converter on my 97 obw yesterday, but don't see a lot of adjustment points. The exhaust seems to be riding too high and too far to the left of the car, so it hits the body and axle...

where do I adjust this so it hangs evenly and far enough away from everything?

btw, the pipe I bought only has the resonator in it, and not the (second??) cat that was there before...

thanks

perhaps that's not the second cat -

what was there before had a pack just beyond the connector flange, and a resonator a little further down the pipe.

It's dark out, or I'd go see that both cats are still there...

or I'm just confused. guess I'll have to go out in the morning to measure, and also to verify that what I removed wasn't the catalytic converter, or that it was.

thanks

I got under the car tonight - both catalytic converters are still there - I had tried to replace the two pieces behind the cats, a pipe that did have two packs in it and the rear pipe/muffler. The parts that the local auto parts store INSISTS is the correct p/n for the 97 OBW appears to be the correct muffler, BUT the middle pipe appears to be about an inch shorter than the old one, and it only has the one resonator in it, and I CANNOT connect everything and still have it all hanging straight from the hangers. It's also got slightly different bends in it, although the ends appear to be in the right place, just not QUITE long enough.

SO, when it's connected it's banging against the car. I put the old assembly back on, as it fits (and only slightly leaks).

Are there two p/ns for aftermarket OEM muffler parts? Did the 97 exhaust change when the 2.5 engine changed? What am I doing wrong?

thanks

I just had a talk with the guy at the parts store. Is it possible that Subaru changed the mid-pipe during the model year? the part that his book shows for the 98 OBW looks more like the one that was on my 97...

I don't have the production date on my car, but on other parts it seems I've heard that after 4/97 things were different on the 97 outbacks?

guess I'll go down and look at it later.

ok - the interim pipe for the 98 does look more like the interim pipe that's on the car, BUT the car was purchased in October 96, so early in the 97 model year. (which of course also means we have the early EJ25)

The catalog says the interim pipe is Walker 54 062 for the 96 and 97, even though the 55 180, which the catalog says is for the 98 looks more like the original.

I'm going back to the parts store tomorrow. Now, after more comparison, maybe the muffler and pipe are manufactured incorrectly?? This is the same part number (Walker 55 179) for several model years, but the one we have is not bent exactly the same, and the hanger on the pipe looks about an inch or more off.

If this doesn't work, guess I'll order from the dealer. At least the price is similar, but dealer's muffler doesn't have lifetime warranty...

Any other advice would be very appreciated!

didnt you have to weld to put the new exhast on??? i had to weld mine on.. i got a ricer exhast muffler on the back but it was too loud so i put a 3' long glasspack underneath on top of it and the stcok resonator deal. it is quiet now.. but looks cool

now it hangs opposite of yours.. too low. i would just heat the metal up with a oxy torch and rebend it. thats what i will do. cheers

didnt you have to weld to put the new exhast on??? i had to weld mine on.. i got a ricer exhast muffler on the back but it was too loud so i put a 3' long glasspack underneath on top of it and the stcok resonator deal. it is quiet now.. but looks cool

now it hangs opposite of yours.. too low. i would just heat the metal up with a oxy torch and rebend it. thats what i will do. cheers

no, don't have the welding equipment. Just replacing the original exhaust with new OEM parts, no performance ambitions!

This was Walker exhaust parts, agreed with the catalog (and what I see on Napaonline), but either the parts this parts dealer had in stock were formed incorrectly, or I'm doing something else wrong. Another parts dealer has Bosal, costs a little more, but haven't gone there yet.

I'll probably go to the Subaru dealer next week (surprisingly price isn't much different, just no muffler warranty) to see what he has. Should just bolt in and fit.

Meanwhile, running the old (original) pipe and muffler with patch goo - need inspection by end of the year, and the first snow last night is reminding me it's getting too cold to work on the car!!