Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front 02 Sensor - 2001 Forester S

Hello All. I know that this topic has been pretty well hashed out over the years... well I guess it's not over yet!.

Anyway, my Forester seems to be running richer than it should and I suspect a lazy O2 sensor. No trouble codes show up, and no, I haven't done ay diagnostic tests. Trouble is, the front sensor on this one is a bit of an odd ball with a 6 lead cable. Can anyone shed some light on the workings of this sensor. The OEM unit is a little pricey, so I'd like to replace it with a universal sensor, but that doesn't seem possible. Any ideas?

Hello All. I know that this topic has been pretty well hashed out over the years... well I guess it's not over yet!.

Anyway, my Forester seems to be running richer than it should and I suspect a lazy O2 sensor. No trouble codes show up, and no, I haven't done ay diagnostic tests. Trouble is, the front sensor on this one is a bit of an odd ball with a 6 lead cable. Can anyone shed some light on the workings of this sensor. The OEM unit is a little pricey, so I'd like to replace it with a universal sensor, but that doesn't seem possible. Any ideas?

Never seen or heard of more than four wires but I'm ready to learn.

OK... I've got some more info on this.

It's a Wideband O2 sensor, Bosch LSU4. Generically known as a 5 wire pump cell sensor. (the 6th wire stubs at a calibration resistor in the connector. 5 wires go to the sensor). Details are here http://wbo2.com/lsu/default.htm.

It ..appears.. that the sensor used on VW Jettas and Golfs, VW p/n 021-906-262-B. may be a suitable replacement, at half the cost of the Sub. OEM unit. (available at http://www.worldimpex.com/item_detail.html?sku=117395 ) I'll have to dig in to it a little further.

OEM is the way to go; this is a good price, I paid $156 a year ago or so.

However, based on my experience I would not be rushing to replace the sensor. Slow sensors was a big deal with OBD1 systems (pre 1996). Hoever, OBD2 was designed to diagnose bad sensors and catalists very well; so well that many states abandoned exhast testing. I replaced mine in 00 legacy with no results. You might want to look at your fuel pressure. Mine is on a high side, even AFTER I replaced a fuel pressure regulator (OEM).

Incidentally, I used Subie Gal's service. Highly recommended.

Edit: why you are saying rich? what is your LTFT?