Ultimate Subaru Message Board

<semi-newbie here> tranny grind/knock

Hello all,

I picked up a 2002 OB wagon, 2.5L automatic a month ago. When leaving a dead stop in gear, there is a grinding sound that I can also feel in the floorboard when the engine RPM passes a given point. It 'feels' like something in the transmission, possibly the torque converter, but I haven't ruled out the possibility that the differential is the culprit. It is also more pronounced when the car is warmed up. Having owned a 2000 OB, and having flushed the tranny, with good results, by way of the the fluid cooler lines in a total loss/gain configuration, I am prepared to perform this measure again. Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? Any and all advice is most appreciated.

John

Automatic trannies dont grind when the go, or start going. Now that being said, at what RPM does this start. Is it RPM dependent or speed depenednt. If you pup the car in neutral at speed does it go away. If you downshift to drop the engine rpm under the threshold does it go away.

I dont think its the transmission. You also have a carrier bearing and a couple of U joints under the floor ro the RWD. I would look there.

nipper

Definetely not a vibration. It's only when accelerating from a stop that the grind appears, then disappears before the shift into second gear. The softer takeoffs from stop seem to have more grind. Under harder acceleration, it's almost nonexistent. It's not something you can hear, more of a feel in the feet. The effect is the same with the FWD fuse in, which leads me to believe it's in the front or the tranny. The car has about 68K miles.

Thanks again

John

The RWD part of the drivetrain always spins no matter weather the fuse is in the car or not.

Is your starter fully disenagaing after you start the car.

Does the car do it in neutral or park? Does it do it when you have the car in drive, fott on the brake, and give the car gas (dont do this for more then a few seconds).

nipper