Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire pressure/normal air loss?

check the pressure on cold tires[like first thing in the morning before you drive it].pressure will go up about 4 pounds in a 10 mile drive.say they have 32 pounds cold at 80 degrees outside temp,at 40 degrees that same 32 pounds will be about 28 pounds,i think you need to have that one tire checked for a slow leak. hope this helps. ed

if the rims were'nt cleaned/dressed properly before installing the new tires then it is possible to have a small leak that will only be fixed by remounting the rims properly. if the tires are that new then it should still be under some kind of warranty.

temperature dropping can account for some, but usually won't continute happening and should be fairly even across all tires.

1. check for a puncture in the tire (nail or some other object). these can be very slow leaks and sometimes never leak at all. i've pulled plenty of tires/wheels that had nails but never leaked.

2. check valve stem. splash some soapy water around a fullly inflated tire valve stem (leave the cap on the valve stem), look for bubbles. splash soapy water inside the valve stem and see if it bubbles.

3. have the tires remounted and ask them to clean the wheels off really good before mounting. only need to have the one remounted if it's the only one leaking. i've had to have this done before.

Hey guys, what is normal air loss over time for tires? Mine seem to be losing air rather quickly, but I don't know. Put in 36psi and in less than two weeks, down to 30>

Thanks

a problem that my rims had was corrosion. Sometimes some corrosion can form between the tires and the rim that can cause leaks. If you have time take off each wheel and spray a soapy mixture or water around the bead where the tire meets the rim. also do this around the valve stem. if litttle bubbles form, the rims need to be sanded down at the bean to get rid of the corrosion. a little bead sealer should be applied as well.

also, with cold weather coming, tires lose about 1psi per 10 degree drop in air temperature. being that it's not THAT cold yet, that's most likely not the issue.

also, over time tires lose pressure...thats just how it is.

if more than one of your tires is losing pressure, i'd say it's rim corrosion.

if that's the case take the car into a garage and tell them that you have beads leaks on whichever tires are leaking and they'll know what to do and charge you for a regular flat repair. normally around 20 bucks.

good luck and Godspeed